Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:53:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Success with intervention/ultimatum?  (Read 440 times)
Uncle Rico

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 28, 2017, 11:32:03 AM »

It is often said that change in a BPD never happens until there is a major disruption in their lifestyle. That while ultimatums in day to day living are bad, almost no change happens without a significant disruption. If presented with an ultimatum does the light ever come on and steps taken toward rebuilding trust?

My BPD wife of 7 years (2 young kids) is 100% emotionally unavailable - no touching, no talking, no participation emotionally.

Recently she had a 1 time affair with an ex on line. She promises it was a 1 time thing and shes not interested in other guys- but nor is she interested in me.

I know she needs help and she is for the first time slightly admitting she is in a bad place. I finally set good boundaries, but those get violated when she wants to.

I want her to realize the situation is dire and I can't continue living this way anymore. What is the typical response of BPDs to receiving news that I plan to file for divorce/separation to give her space as she has asked for?

She has abandoned our family long ago and technically I am not leaving anything. I am just bringing to light the reality of how bad things are.

I am only asking that she get help.  ANd hopeful of her seeing there is a problem.

I could continue the marriage if she wanted to get help (I don't even need her to change), but I can't live in a marriage with secrets especially with the infidelity.

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 10:56:27 AM »

Hi Uncle rico,

Excerpt
It is often said that change in a BPD never happens until there is a major disruption in their lifestyle. That while ultimatums in day to day living are bad, almost no change happens without a significant disruption. If presented with an ultimatum does the light ever come on and steps taken toward rebuilding trust

I understand your logic, everyone's rock bottom is different, a major disruption would be one way, I think that it also depends on how self aware someone is, does she feel like there is something that is off with her, how motivated is she to getting help for herself? I don't think that it's a good idea to give a pwBPD an ultimatum, it's not a good idea to give one to non's either, the person is probably going to feel resentment and possibly lash out.

At the center of the disorder is abandonment, abandonment fears, the core wound of abandonment, if you tell her that if she doesn't shape up and you'll divorce her, you may very well trigger what a pwBPD fear most, abandonment, my advice is that it's not worth the risk, a boundary is not something that you set on someone else, a boundary is something that you set on you, if she does X, I respond with Y.

Excerpt
I could continue the marriage if she wanted to get help (I don't even need her to change), but I can't live in a marriage with secrets especially with the infidelity.

If you're in a r/s with these dynamics, you have to accept that there is very possibility that she may never change, this is who she is, I could of written your post a few years ago, I thought that change came from someone else and I wanted my ex wife to change. Nothing changes without change, change comes from you, when you change, it has a domino effect, everything changes. What is your boundary, is it a deal breaker for you with infidelity or is it something that you think that you can work through in counseling? You can repair a r/s if there has been infidelity, it takes a lot of hard work.

Here is an article, a tool that is used in DBT for pwBPD but anyone can use it, it's called radical acceptance, that's another option, you can radically accept her for who she is, I'm not condoning infidelity, everyone is different and has a different opinion about it, it depends on our core values if it's something that we can or can't work with. I hope that helps.

Radical Acceptance For Family Members (DBT skill)

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 05:12:46 PM »

What is the typical response of BPDs to receiving news that I plan to file for divorce/separation to give her space as she has asked for?

Have you two discussed divorce/separation before? If so, how did she respond?

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest