Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 04:44:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I stood up to my BPD friend  (Read 441 times)
SummerStorm

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« on: May 06, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »

For 2 1/2 years, I've been friends someone who has BPD.  She was diagnosed two years ago.  I've been through it all with her--a suicide attempt, being painted black multiple times, the push/pull, watching her go through boyfriend after boyfriend.  But because I'm passive and was always walking on eggshells, every single time she would verbally abuse me, shut me out of her life for weeks or months, and then contact me one day like nothing had ever happened, I would just go along with it, never letting my feelings known and never daring to bring up past events.

Recently, I've been under a lot of stress at work, and I've been dealing with depression.  Yesterday, she texted me and told me that no one wants to talk to me because no one cares about my pity party.  And that's when I decided that I've had enough of her putting me down all the time.  I said, "I understand that you get mad or frustrated with me, but you don't need to be so cruel."  She replied, "I try to be nice, but you don't listen."  I explained that no one deserves to be called names and that, if she can tell me when something I say or do makes her upset, I should also have that freedom.  She read my messages but never replied, which I was completely expecting.  However, this is the first time I've ever spoken up and told her that her words hurt me.  I know it won't change anything and that it's likely she'll give me the silent treatment for a few weeks, but I'm proud of myself for actually saying something.  I refuse to have a childish argument with her, so I closed by saying that I wish her all the best. 

We all get mad, frustrated, etc.  However, that doesn't mean that we should tolerate verbal abuse from someone else.

In general, I'm a very passive person, and I have social anxiety, so I find it difficult to express my feelings in most situations.  Though the outcome of this situation will likely not be positive, I at least took a step out of my comfort zone. 

So when will this end it goes on and on/Over and over and over again/Keep spinning around I know that it won't stop/Till I step down from this for good - Lifehouse "Sick Cycle Carousel"
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Grey Kitty

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 12:56:00 PM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Congratulations on a big step forward

Recently, I've been under a lot of stress at work, and I've been dealing with depression.  Yesterday, she texted me and told me that no one wants to talk to me because no one cares about my pity party.

Do you have other friends or family who are are supportive and validating?

Given her BPD, she probably isn't capable of much there, and by accusing you of a pity party and blaming you, you get the opposite of support from her, as you saw. Sadly you may get more of this from her.
SummerStorm

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 12:12:39 PM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Congratulations on a big step forward

Do you have other friends or family who are are supportive and validating?

Given her BPD, she probably isn't capable of much there, and by accusing you of a pity party and blaming you, you get the opposite of support from her, as you saw. Sadly you may get more of this from her.

Yes, I have other supportive people. 

I do know that she is trying to be a better person, but without therapy, there's only so much she can do.  The guy she's dating now seems really, really nice.  He's a bit older than her, has his own place, etc.  She's really happy right now, but I can also tell that she's mirroring him to the extreme, and so I'm trying not to let myself fall into a trap of thinking she has completely changed for the good.  I can still tell that everything has to be about her.  Even today, when I texted her about how the festival I was planning on going to was cancelled today due to weather, she replied with, "I'm worried that my flight will be delayed."  And when the guy she was dating last year had to go to rehab, her main concern was that she would have to sleep alone for a few weeks.  So, even though I can see some improvements, I also have to wonder if most of them have to do with the fact that she's dating someone who is kind and mature. 

So when will this end it goes on and on/Over and over and over again/Keep spinning around I know that it won't stop/Till I step down from this for good - Lifehouse "Sick Cycle Carousel"
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest