Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 08:07:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relationship Advice  (Read 365 times)
monkey428
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 10, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »

hello everyone,
My boyfriend of almost two years suffers from what we both believe to be BPD. He is having a hard time right now and he's pushing me away. For the majority of our relationship, it was unknown to me that he was even having these problems. We have a great relationship, but every so often he would get mad about things that I never thought of as a big deal, and most people wouldn't. But for him it was huge and I never understood why. He recently came forward telling me that in high school (about 10 years ago) he was told by the school counselor that he displays strong signs of BPD. After hearing this, I researched and researched and I 100% agree. I am a very patient person, always have been and of course will continue to be. I want to help him and let him know that I am here and I will always be here, but he keeps pushing me away. He won't get help, so I guess what I'm asking is what do I do? I can't make him get help, but he needs a healthy way of coping with this. How can I help? And how can I convince him that I'm in this for the long run and I have no intentions of leaving his side. He tried to break up with me a few days ago, not because he doesn't love me, but because he feels like this is too much for me, even thought I have told him on several occasions that it's not. How can I get through to him.
I am sorry if this post is all over the place, my mind is just in a million places right now, and I need help. Thank you for your support.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

stayingsteady

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »

Hi monkey428,

Welcome to BPD Family!

You've asked a lot of really good questions:

1.  What do I do?
2.  How can I help?
3.  How can I convince him that I'm in this for the long run and I have no intentions of leaving his side?
4.  How can I get through to him?

These questions are extremely common here, so you definitely aren't alone.

I wanted to try and answer your questions to the best of my ability to hopefully provide a little peace.

1.  What do I do?

I would recommend beginning to develop a strong understanding of these relationship dynamics.  This site has a tremendous amount of resources that can help.  The most useful of these as you get started are located on the sidebar to the right.

2.  How can I help?

As you learn more about BPD you'll discover that individuals with BPD often react out of fear.  This fear leads to a variety of actions that can seem counter-intuitive (such as loving you and pushing you away at the same time).  Because fear is often the primary reason for these actions, it can be useful to monitor our own actions to prevent this fear from getting worse.  The majority of all the information on this site revolve around self monitoring.

3.  How can I convince him that I'm in this for the long run and I have no intentions of leaving his side?

This is a really good question and one that comes up a lot.  Unfortunately words don't have as much meaning for an individual with BPD because these fears can run so deep.  The best way I have seen in providing an understanding that you will be always be there is to do just that.

4.  How can I get through to him?

I believe the best way of getting through to him is by using a personality trait you already possess; patience.  Getting through to an individual with BPD may take longer than we often would like.  When patience exists we can increase this likelihood.

I hope this information helps,

- Staying Steady
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest