Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 10:38:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The final conflict  (Read 1440 times)
Grey Kitty

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 10:46:33 AM »

The answer is that I am backing away because she is ending it. My journey at the moment is trying to own that decision.

That's a really tough choice. It is hard to do.

And it leaves you 'on the hook' so to speak. How long will you wait in case she decides to come back in your direction again?
RomanticFool

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2017, 03:31:09 PM »

I'm not waiting. I am getting on with my life. It just all seems surreal and lonely right now.

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2017, 04:08:53 PM »

You mentioned trying to reconnect with your wife... .trip to Vegas... .can you tell us what is going on with your relationship there?  What is good? What is lacking?

RomanticFool

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2017, 04:36:30 PM »

We are going to Vegas for the last weekend in May. I am trying to rekindle passion with her. It's hard when perhaps the chemistry is lacking. With the ex the chemistry was like a volcano for me. Here it is just a bit of warmth between us.

I told her last night that I was feeling lonely in the relationship and said we needed to work on giving each other time. She accused me of trying to stop her doing things with her friends at first (she has fairly recently taken up a new hobby which makes her travel to exotic places) and said she wasn't happy that I'd asked her not to take any more trips in the summer (she has taken four in the last 6 months).

I said that I felt she was living like a single person and if she wants that type of a lifestyle then she shouldn't have got married. I also said that putting me in the position of the ogre stopping her from doing things was unfair as I have never done that. It was a question of practicalities. Our house needs alot of things doing to it and I said it isn't fair to leave it all to me.

I asked her if she loves me. She said of course she does. I said then we have to stop sleeping in separate rooms. She agreed but said she is worried about her sleeping issues. I said I want us to start the nights in the same room and if her sleeping issues start up then she should move to the spare room to sleep.

We can't do any of this until I get a new bed as the big double bed is literally falling apart and she does have severe insomnia. AFter agreeing all of this I then said I'm tired of doing everything she wants to do socially and nothing I want to. She told me to organise things then. So I posited the idea of a date night which she agreed to. It would be either Thursday night, or if she is too tired, Saturday night.

I intend to try to instigate sex in Vegas. We will see what happens. But I am trying and she seems to be willing. My wife is a sexual anorexic and we haven't had sex for 7 years. If we cannot get past this then I am going to have to end our marriage but I don't want to do that without trying. She is a good woman.

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2017, 04:54:41 PM »

Be patient with her.  Being cool (click to insert in post)

You have lived lives with other partners - you with a mistress, her with a hobby - to resurrect the relationship the whole tempo has to evolve and that is best done with patience.

My experience is that it you ask a women for something, that feels like a chore. If you charm her into it, its an act of love. One of the most attractive things you can say is I love you just the way you are and don't put conditions on her - just charm here.  She'll soon find time with you more interesting than time out with he girls.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ppidBvkUN14

RomanticFool

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2017, 11:01:50 AM »

Good advice Skip. Patience and charm. I remember those... .1975 was it?

Great comedy. Men are definitely cats. Nice twist on the theme.

RomanticFool

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2017, 03:24:59 PM »

Hey Skip,

Just a question. Do you think most of us on here have emotional and behavioural dysregulation, impaired empathy and a lack of compassion? Bearing in mind 50% of BPD partners have BPD traits, do you think we are all similar to our ex romantic partners? I'm beginning to think the split was my fault.

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2017, 03:42:51 PM »

Murray Bowen (Bowen Institute) says we mate with our emotional equal - not mirror image, but equal. Most of us have something going on. It could be simple depression, self esteem issues, co-dependence, narcissistic, poor attachment skills, etc.

Most of our partners are "pre-clinical" so the same can be said about us. The chance of recovery is good if we face it and work it.

RomanticFool

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2017, 04:28:03 PM »

I feel like Harrison Ford in Blade Runner when he discovers he's a Replicant. Wow!

If we all have the same traits, why are you at such great pains to warn us off our emotional equals?

Also, I've just been reading about the different phases of the borderline and it sounds like a personality description of my ex. The warnings to stay away are stark. If we are exactly the same and emotional equals attract each other, we'll just all go out and find another BPD or NPD, won't we?

In a sense you are warning us away from ourselves.

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2017, 04:50:49 PM »

In a sense you are warning us away from ourselves.

In a sense... .but I'm really saying "see who you are" and save yourself.

I connected with my exBPD partner when I was recovering from a huge life setback.  Some people with narcissistic traits (fragile ego) are attracted to the adulation.  Some people with poor attachment skills from a difficult FOO, mimic the dysfunction in their family. So no, I'm not saying equal is a mirror image, I'm saying equal is a relationship skill deficits of similar magnitude (either acute or chronic).

RomanticFool

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »

Excerpt
I'm saying equal is a relationship skill deficits of similar magnitude (either acute or chronic).

I'll tell you what I have discovered since coming on here. Between us we made up the classic Borderline Personality Disordered individual. If we take the 5 components of dysregulation as a basis:

Excerpt
1. Emotion Dysregulation: Emotion dysregulation means not managing your emotions in context. It happens when you must reduce or escape your emotions by not managing them, without regard to consequences. Emotional dysregulation can be rage, anxiety, depression, and not feeling validated.

I had rage. She had anxiety and severe depression. I had depression but she never validated mine and hers had to be the thing we talked about. When I mentioned mine she would get irritated.

Excerpt
2. Interpersonal Dysregulation: Interpersonal dysregulation is indicated by chaotic relationships and fears of abandonment.

My love relationships have been chaotic here and there. Not always. I'd say hers were more dysfunctional because at one point she had no friends and said she didn't trust women. I think since being in the suicide prevention organisation and AA she has probably made friends, but I would be willing to bet money that most of them would be men.

The most hilarious part of this is that she told me I had fear of abandonment. She absolutely does but I never realised I did until she diagnosed me. Go figure.

Excerpt
3. Self Dysregulation: Self dysregulation means an unstable sense of self and a sense of emptiness.

Her self image was non existent. She told me that she was ugly and that she felt she didn't exist. She was beautiful and I never had a clue about what she was talking about regarding the not existing. Interestingly enough my dad said something similar a few weeks ago. He said he just wants to be invisible in life. I told him that was low self esteem talking. The ex always used to go on about feeling empty. Then I realised I've felt that my whole life. In my case I've always had an inner yearning. I told her about it and it was met with silence, as usual.

Excerpt
4. Behavioral Dysregulation: Behavioral dysregulation is characterized by self-injury and impulsive behaviors (such as substance abuse and promiscuity).

I think hers were more pronounced than mine but we both had these. We are both in AA, though compared to her drinking I was an amateur! I used to punch myself in the face when I got angry or frustrated and my wife stopped me doing it. She would always go off and do things and not talk to me. That always struck me as more impulsive than me, but I am impulsive too. Promiscuity is the big one. I obviously am but I never called it that, I called it looking for the right person. I have no idea whether she has been promiscuous and that eats me up. Everything I have ever read about female Borderlines says they are, but she swears she was 'exclusive' to me. This was of course undermined by the fact that she was sleeping with her husband... .so I think I know the answer. I can feel murderous over jealousy. I have never been violent towards people but I feel violence inside around betrayal.

Excerpt
5. Cognitive Dysregulation: Cognitive dysregulation is indicated by paranoia and dissociative responses that are made worse by stressful situations.

I used to get paranoid about where she was and possessive. She has the dissociative responses. We are both triggered by stress but again everything is more pronounced in her case as she has more severe everything.

lovenature

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2017, 01:10:31 PM »

Excerpt
Please stay away from me and give me a chance to heal.

The only way this will happen is if YOU make it happen: ANY contact what so ever shows a PWBPD that an attachment is still in place and they will continue pursuing a relationship.
RomanticFool

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »

You are right and I am getting stronger by the day. If you'd said that to me a week ago I'd have thought, 'So there is a chance she might pursue me. I better contact her.' Now I am actually thinking that I must stay away. Progress is slow and painful but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you.

lovenature

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2017, 05:24:28 PM »

Excerpt
Now I am actually thinking that I must stay away

The more you learn and the longer you remain NC the clearer things become, with enough education and time away you will be able to decide what is best for YOU.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest