Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 02:15:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I read somewhere that a BPD is stuck in the emotional developmental stage of a 3 year old and a NPD  (Read 1485 times)
RomanticFool

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 05:54:52 PM »

Excerpt
Look how upset you are with your affair partner going quiet on you? That doesn't hold a candle to the destruction done by an affair to the innocent party.

I have been cheated on many times in my life. I have had affairs with 3 married women and I fell for each one (probably because they were unobtainable) and my ex said nothing to reassure me regarding her husband in the latter stages of the relationship. Ergo, I felt like she was having an affair the whole time I was with her. When I found out she had been to a gig with another man, she told me about it, I flipped out completely. She swore blind it was a platonic friendship and she said to me, 'You must have female friends.' I felt like strangling her. I felt betrayed. I am certain now that I have always had this emotional dysregulation because the pain I feel over things like this seems more extreme than most.

Excerpt
Empathy. Can you put yourself in the shoes of your wife if she finds out? Can you see how she would see the world upon finding out?

If it happens, and you see her face, you will hate yourself for doing that to another human being.

I am not so sure she would feel the way you are describing. For sure she would be hurt. However, we haven't had sex for 8 years. That is an awfully long time. I am a jealous man and I have found myself hoping that she is getting sex from somewhere. I think it is awful for her if she has been celibate for 8 years.

Ok I am going to be very honest with you now because this is what we are here for. I don't really feel guilty. I don't know why. I think it is the reason that I wrote in another post. I was always faithful in my 20's and I did my usual obsessive love over a woman who broke my heart when she left me (this was not long after my 17 year old brother died). Then I had another girlfriend after that who I was faithful to and I discovered she cheated on me. Once again devastation set in.

In my 30's when my drinking took a hold, I crossed that line too. I felt terribly guilty first of all bt as the years went by I normalised the behaviour. My AA sponsor used to argue with me because I told him I never felt guilty. He kept telling me that I must do but I'm hiding it. My explanation is that it became a habit.

It does seem like there is empathy impairment here. Or the other explanation could be that I am yearning for intimacy and so I feel justified. I really don't know.

RomanticFool

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 06:05:13 PM »

Mutt,

I'm sorry for what you went through.

Once upon a time cheating was the be all and end all to me. However, I have been cheated on so many times in my life it's like I have become desensitised about the seriousness of it. Also, in my marriage there are not kids involved. I may feel differently about everything if there were.

There is a level of hypocrisy here because when I am emotionally engaged as I am with my ex, I felt destroyed when I suspected that she cheated on me. Perhaps that tells me that I am not in love with my wife.

I still don't want to hurt her. I suppose now the question becomes, should I stay in my marriage so as not to hurt my wife?

Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 06:40:16 PM »

Hi RomanticFool,

I never paid attention to this when I was with my ex, it was after she left that I learned the importance of r/s's, I listen to what people say directly or indirectly around me about me, it telegraphs what I'm putting out there, I make tweaks and adjustments based on that feedback, maybe you've normalized it but in this discussion and the discussion that you had with your sponsor, what do you get from the feedback from others?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
RomanticFool

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 02:51:08 AM »

I get that I am empathy impaired around it. I get that the behaviour is shocking to some people. I know intellectually that it is wrong to cheat and have affairs but I justify and minimise my behaviour on the grounds of having no intimacy with my wife for 8 years. Every single one of my friends and aquaintances with whom I have discussed this issue says they would not be able to deal with no sex life. I am not the first person in the world to look outside of my marriage for sex. So that's probably why I don't feel guilty.

However, if I was to be confronted with her reaction if she ever found out, I would feel terribly guilty and sad for upsetting her. I do know that much.

kc sunshine

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 10:37:34 PM »

This was a very helpful article-- thanks for posting!

RomanticFool

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2017, 07:10:39 AM »

You're welcome KC. Glad you got something out of it.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest