Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 12:49:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wife with bod  (Read 390 times)
Bubba80
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 22, 2017, 01:27:56 PM »

Long term marriage.  Just getting in touch with this, still have questions abt diagnosis but am pretty sure this is it.  Need help and support
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 01:26:08 AM »

What's going on Bubba80, and how can we help? How did you finally determine BPD?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Bubba80
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 12:34:45 PM »

We hv seen many counselors. Current one has worked with BPD clients and has administered tests. She has concluded that my wife has BPD. Also some other disorders. I have some difficulty believing my spouse has BPD.  I vacillate. One time l think yes that is it. Then, no it's not. Spouse is angry and rages if anyone hints or suggests she has BPD. Am out of house for 10 days at counselor suggestion. This to get spouse to face her need to work on herself rather than blaming me for all our marital problems. Spouse says I hv run our marriage into ditch and must straighten it out.  She has done nothing to contribute to the problems.  I know I have done hurtful things and hv asked forgiveness.  She keeps bringing them up over and over. Has a pretty good list. I am guilty of most and acknowledge them but get nowhere. Have struggled. 50 years with this. Lost many potential friends because she has criticized these. Am cut off from close relationships with our children because they feel hurt and angry with us. I want to put family back together and hv good relationship with spouse
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 09:44:55 PM »

Whether or not she has diagnosis xyz, relationships are about interactions,  so focusing on what's going on at ground level is where to start improving things.  It's the behaviors that count.

You may want to start going through the lessons to the right of this board.  Lesson 3 covers the communication tools.  Though they were developed by leading experts in the disorder,  they work with anyone.  Validation can work with your children as well.  

1.10 | Validation Skills

I can imagine it's frustrating,  even hurtful to acknowledge past hurts only to have them thrown back in your face.  Seems like a treadmill.  A simple technique to grasp might be SET:

1.16 | Communicate - S.E.T. (Support, Empathy and Truth)

Take a look and tell us what you think.  Members here can even help you practice.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
johndude49

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 02:44:00 AM »

Hi Bubba80,

Your situations sounds a lot like mine except we've never gotten as far as my wife being even willing to see a counselor, let along let them tell her what is wrong with her.  As with your wife, my wife usually blames me, someone else, or even God for her crappy situation.  It's very frustrating.  You mentioned 50 years.  Have you actually been married for 50 years?  Has she been like this the whole time?  I have been married 27 years and it has already been very hard.  Even after practicing most of the things they recommend in this website and reading some of the books, things have not changed with her much.  What has changed is me.  I do better at keeping boundaries, taking care of myself, learning how to talk to her without making things worse, tolerate her, and sometimes bring the best out of her and help her come alive (though that's not the norm)

I could tell you more but just wanted to let you know for now that I feel your pain and that this website and the books they recommend her are very helpful so go ahead and start learning and get as good as you can at being a good partner to someone with BPD. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest