Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 11:44:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Our abuse recovery guide
Survivor to Thriver | Free download.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First time talking about BPD struggles with mother-in-law  (Read 390 times)
NinaBean
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« on: May 22, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »

Hello, all:
This is my first time joining a community forum for pretty much anything! I'm struggling with setting boundaries with my BPD/Narcissistic mother-in-law and wanted to reach out to hear what others have done to set healthy boundaries.

My mother-in-law is extremely manipulative and child-like, and has a way of making everything about her (unmet) emotional needs from her childhood. She's nearly 60, and was an army brat, and was exposed to deep trauma as a teen with the loss of two brothers, so I empathize completely with her. However, she uses her trauma as a carte blanche to really give her the power to steamroll any social situation.

It's to the point where I no longer want to have a relationship with her. But I must, as she is part of the family.
Thanks for any insights!
-Nina
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 10:08:10 PM »

Hi NinaBean! Welcome! 

Thank you for posting to our online family. I'm so glad you did.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post). This is an online family especially dedicated to helping navigate those murky waters of having a pwBPD in our lives. There are a lot of listening ears and caring hearts here!

On the right hand side of the board under Healing When a Family Member Has BPD, you will find some information about BPD. If you click on any of the sentences, they will open up in another window with more information.

Your BPD m-i-l sounds challenging. How does your DH do with her? Do you know if she has been diagnosed with BPD? Regardless of a formal diagnosis or not, when you find it necessary to deal with the traits common to someone with BPD, it is so very hard. As a child growing up with an uBPDm, I well grasp some of the frustration you are going through. Have you read any books about BPD? Here is a good one to start with:

Stop Walking On Eggshells

I think it's wonderful that you see the need for boundary setting! Kudos to you! Here is a link I in regards to this:

Setting Boundaries

When is the next time you anticipate seeing her again? Do you live close by her?

Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest