Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 10:54:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Scorched Earth" Behavior - Taking You Down With Them  (Read 717 times)
tennysongirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 09, 2017, 12:28:45 PM »

Hey everyone, looking for some insight. My pwBPD of 4 years has been in the middle of leaving me/recycling the relationship for as long as we've been together, and has "ended" things once again after being confronted about his month of silent treatment towards me.

Does anyone else have experience with feeling like they are trying to "take you down" with them? Ie, things feel so incredibly crappy for them that they must ultimately make this experience just as ___ty for everyone else?

In the past when faced with what seemed like a very final break-up, I have packed my things, uprooted my life, and found another place to live, but this time I set a boundary for myself and declined to move out. This incurred rageful comments - "I wish you'd just get on a plane and LEAVE" - and blame for him being "homeless". He is currently in the process of moving into a new place, and since it's been difficult to communicate with him without all blame and anger directed towards me and not respond in kind, I requested a No Contact policy for the next 30 days in our mutual therapy session. If contact it is necessary, it is for monetary logistics ONLY and texts/emails/calls that break the rules will not be acknowledge.

We are only on Day one of my request, and that boundary has already been violated. The week he moved out, I requested that he not contact me for at least a week at ALL, and this was violated repeatedly - he stopped by or texted me EVERY day that week. When I point out calmly that my boundary has been violated and I won't be responding, his response is to point out any violations to my own boundary he perceives from my end, insults, and snarky passive aggressive comments. I am not great at keeping snippy comments to myself when feeling attacked or blamed, and so the boundaries were set in place so that I can also make sure I'm not feeding into the negativity.

I'm exhausted from the mind-games I feel like I've had to play to keep things from getting out of control. I know he's probably in agony as well, but things like "I'd be happy to never see YOU again!" "You hype me up into a rage, get me to feel bad, and then feed off my energy!" and "I am not going to be HOMELESS because of you!" make it difficult to keep calm and feel sympathetic.

I guess my question is actually several:

1. How do you guys keep from responding?
2. How do you handle boundary violations other than firm and kind re-enforcement?
3. How do you mirror back their actions/words to them so that the responsibility for their behavior remains on them without me resorting to more blame or accusations, or anything that could be taken that way by them?

Thanks everyone. This group has been majorly helpful. Every time I feel like blaming him or firing off an angry text, I hop on here to read and read and it helps.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Mutt
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 09:28:41 AM »

Hi tennysongirl,

Welcome

That's a tough spot that you're in, our pwBPD will push buttons and sometimes will push all of them, that sounds like you're case. A pwBPD have little to no boundaries on themselves and don't understand other people's boundaries. It makes sense to communicate with our SO's and tell them if they've crossed a boundary, usually people will understand and respect that, a pwBPD are just wired differently.

When I point out calmly that my boundary has been violated and I won't be responding, his response is to point out any violations to my own boundary he perceives from my end, insults, and snarky passive aggressive comments.

We can't control others, there are only two things that we can control, our thoughts and our feelings, set the boundary on yourself, my advise is if you tell him that he's crossed a boundary, just say it once and I wouldn't say that I won't be responding, follow through with your actions and simply don't respond, by telling him that it just gives him attention.

I'm guessing that you're talking to each other on the phone? If it's not an emergency then don't pick up the phone, if he texts, messages or emails, then set some time aside for yourself during the day to go through the messages and respond back to the valid ones, in this case finances and ignore the rest of them, try to depersonalize the behaviors. I'd probably do the same thing with voice mail if you let calls go to voice mail, for awhile I subscribed to voicemail to text, so when I'd receive a voicemail it transcribes it into text and I'd receive it as an email and I would just read the messages on my phone, it was just easier for that way because I didn't have to listen to the nuances in her voice. It just made it easier for me.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest