Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 01:19:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: frightened for the safety of a three year old child  (Read 345 times)
roscoenewyork
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« on: June 12, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »

I have an ex-friend (cut regular contact eighteen months ago) whom I have reason to believe is a diagnosed borderline with a substance abuse problem (alcoholism). She has been in episodic crises for more than twenty-five years, with four failed marriages and numberless dramatic breakups.  In the last ten years, her crises have amplified in severity, and her ability to cope and function declined.  Orders of protection, failed criminal prosecutions, sustained unemployment, et cetera. After her last-but-two major crisis, she left the region and moved across the country, living from handouts and out of her van. After she came to a stop, she found some apparent stability and established a network of new friends and appeared to alleviate her substance abuse problems.
She met yet another man and was swiftly engaged to be married last autumn. This situation is now in the (familiar) process of disintegrating violently. Except this time, there is a very young child involved.

As far as I know, and I have known her a very long time, she had never been involved with a man with children before. I know she took it upon herself to become a caregiver - almost a mommy dearest - to this toddler. I was frightened because I knew her volatile history, but I kept my peace hoping that she had changed with sobriety and intensive counseling. However, the violent anger that marked her life before her cross-country exile remain, and I think the safety of a small child is now in question.

What should I do? Should I contact the man or his family to provide background information for a persuasive protective order? Should I contact local child protective services? This is keeping me up at night.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:26:01 PM »

Hi roscoenewyork,

Welcome

I'd like to welcome you to bpdfamily, I'm glad that you decided to join us. I can understand how distressing that would feel when we know what our pwBPD is like with the mask fallen off, you sound like a caring, compassionate person. I called protective services on my exuBDw when we split, they may say something different in your area, but they said that unless something has happened to the child, they can't intervene.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
roscoenewyork
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 09:50:53 AM »

Thanks. I got into contact yesterday evening with the father of the child and gave him contact information for some of the people whom my ex-friend has terrorized. He said he had filed an affidavit in support of a protective order for his ex-wife (whom my ex-friend was apparently bombarding with frightening messages), and that he would be seeking his own order today.

It is depressing to think that repeated, self-inflicted personal catastrophe cannot make a single dent in the armor of this disorder, and summoning compassion for the people in its thrall gets progressively more and more exhausting.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest