Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 11:01:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making "progress"  (Read 368 times)
halcyon

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: engaged/2years

« on: June 12, 2017, 02:57:17 PM »

Yesterday, my partner had an outburst after work, but we both navigated it much better than in previous experiences.

It always confuses me at first when she begins yelling at me and behaving as if I've done something terribly wrong, when I know I've done nothing wrong at all.  Well, of course it does.  I'm guessing many of you can relate to that confusion... .it's a normal human reaction in that situation.  And, just like any other time, I began by begging the question:  "What in the world did I do to you?"  Again, a normal human reaction to being yelled at for what seems like "no reason".

However, in previous experiences, I never stopped with that question.  Instead, I got either got defensive (i.e. rose my voice back at her, saying something like, "This isn't fair!  I didn't DO anything to you!" OR I got overly apologetic for the "imagined offense", saying, "I'm sorry for whatever I did!  I don't know what it was, but I'm sorry!"

This time, I am proud to say we BOTH did things completely differently Smiling (click to insert in post)

When my question, "what did I do to you?" only resulted in her emotions escalating, SHE was the first one to ask for a "time out".  I told her, "that's fine.  I love you and will be here when you're ready to talk again."  And she took about 5 minutes to herself to calm down a bit.

When she came back, she asked, "are you ready to talk?"  Well, I quickly realized I was NOT ready.  My thoughts were still jumbled.  I was angry still for being treated that way.  So then I asked for a "time out."  She said, "that's fine.  I'm here when you're ready."  And I took almost 2 hours to sit and write my thoughts out in my journal.

After that, it didn't take us but 10 minutes to resolve the issue.  She apologized for her behavior, and she assured me I hadn't done anything wrong- she just lost control of her emotions.  I accepted the apology, and I reassured her that I understood that her emotions were going to get out of control sometimes, and that it was "okay" (i.e., NOT the "end of the world".  I reminded her to focus on what we did RIGHT, instead of what had gone wrong.  I praised her for remembering to take her time out.

It used to take us up to 6 or 7 hours to resolve an issue like this.  This time, it only took about 2 and a half hours.

We both felt incredibly DRAINED from it, but we took a hot bath to soothe ourselves, and it worked amazingly.  We both slept well and woke up feeling much better.  And, really, we feel MORE connected than ever.

PROGRESS!  It CAN happen Smiling (click to insert in post)

Hope this finds you all well.  Also hope it gives some people hope.  It IS possible!

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 08:36:26 AM »

Yay! I love hearing stories of progress. That was really a big deal for your pwBPD to ask for a timeout! And then for you to respond so well in letting her know you were there for her and allowed her the space to resolve things within herself. Great job!

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 09:57:31 AM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  

And it sounds like of the 2.5 hours to resolve this, there was ~5 minutes of raging at you,  10 minutes to resolve any real issues, and the remainder time-out where neither of you was hurting the other.

The 'typical' 6~7 hours probably involved hours of her raging and you JADEing back at her, perhaps finally yelling back?

That's an even more important improvement!
halcyon

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: engaged/2years

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 12:01:54 PM »

Excerpt
The 'typical' 6~7 hours probably involved hours of her raging and you JADEing back at her, perhaps finally yelling back?

Ah, yes.  Much JADEing.  That is exactly what I used to do.

She had another outburst yesterday morning.  It happened as soon as we'd woken up.  I had not had my coffee yet, so I was super groggy still.  So, again, I made the misstep of allowing myself to be confused and start asking her, "what on earth have I done?"

Luckily, after about 5 minutes of raging, she took the step on her own to take a "time out" until she was calm, and then she apologized for her behavior.  Another lucky thing: we both had therapy that afternoon.

I might post again later today and ask for some tips, because my partner seems to be going through an unusual amount of stress lately.  Many factors to that.  But, for now, I will just say this:

I suddenly realized yesterday that I don't need to be confused anymore.  Like I said before, it's a normal human reaction to be confused when someone is yelling at you for "imagined" offenses.  So I'm not going to beat myself up over the confusion.  I'm only saying that I realized it would be helpful to remember that there is no "need" for the confusion.

I know enough about how her brain works now, that I am able to tell when I've done something wrong and when I have NOT.  The confusion I feel is simply my own brain trying to tell me:  "You didn't do anything to deserve this kind of reaction."  My anxiety is the thing that's constantly trying to find the WHAT.  "WHAT did I do... .?" my anxiety says, "there must be something you did wrong!" 

So, in the future, I'm going to try and COMBAT that anxiety right away.  I am going to do my best to remember it's only my anxiety talking; and the TRUTH is her own BPD brain is dysregulating:  it has NOTHING to do with me.

What does that mean?  Well, I believe it means being more firm about my own boundaries.  She is doing FANTASTIC at remembering to take her "time outs" and remembering to apologize for the behavior the dysregulation causes.  But on my own end, I need to be standing up for myself sooner.

I believe this is also going to involve the "language of love".  Standing up for myself doesn't mean I get to yell back:  "Hey, that's not fair!  I didn't do anything to you!"  Instead, I know I need to remain calm and state my needs with love and compassion.  Something like, "Baby, I love you, and I understand that you're feeling frustrated and upset.  But it's not okay to raise your voice at me right now.  So let's take some time out right now until you can talk to me without raising your voice."

Does that sound about right to you guys?

Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 09:41:12 AM »

Standing up for yourself often means you taking a time out for yourself, even if she hasn't figured out it is a good idea yet.

You don't need her to realize she's wrong. You need to stop hearing this abusive/confusing/conflicting/manipulative/whatever stuff that she's in a mood to be spewing at you!
isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 01:46:01 PM »

way to go Smiling (click to insert in post)  That sounds very good for both of you Smiling (click to insert in post)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest