Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 03:42:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mantras or Affirmations You Say to Yourself?  (Read 485 times)
Peacefromwithin

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: June 15, 2017, 05:35:29 PM »

What mantras or positive affirmations do you say to yourself when the old tapes of your BPD/NPD parent play very loudly in your head? I've embarrassed myself now twice in the last 2 weeks because of horrendous anxiety that happened from not anyone's reactions but the old tapes in my head. It made people uncomfortable. I think my therapist wants me to try to agree with them. Has anyone tried that?

Also what about mantras, positive affirmations, or things do you say to yourself repeatedly when physically interacting with your family members with BPD/NPD to help in the moment, while they are acting crazy or saying crazy things? (My husband "goes to his happy place" but I don't know how to do that without them realizing I'm trying not to listen and then them getting mad over that). Once you are the receiver of the thousands of rantings and rages of a BPD/NPD, you tread carefully... .

Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 08:40:06 PM »

My mom is not BPD but can be very critical at times and I always think to myself... .

"This is about her and her issues and not about me or who I am"

In my mind that's how I see it and it helps me not take what she says personally and creates emotional distance from what is being said... .basically she can criticize all she wants but I refuse to take it in or own what she says to me in those moments.  Often her criticisms are about her keeping up appearances, her values (not mine), her rules (not mine), how I reflect her etc... .

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Peacefromwithin

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 11:32:34 AM »

My mom is not BPD but can be very critical at times and I always think to myself... .

Hi Panda,

Thank you for prefacing your reply with that. It's all about extremes. The criticism of a BPD/NPD parent is very difficult for people to comprehend or even believe, unless personally experienced.

Excerpt
"This is about her and her issues and not about me or who I am"

I love that! It's simple, profound, and perfectly summarized.

Excerpt
In my mind that's how I see it and it helps me not take what she says personally and creates emotional distance from what is being said... .basically she can criticize all she wants but I refuse to take it in or own what she says to me in those moments.  Often her criticisms are about her keeping up appearances, her values (not mine), her rules (not mine), how I reflect her etc... .

After a lifetime of brainwashing, it's really hard to remind myself sometimes that it's them and not me. I love the idea, however, of creating emotional distance from what is being said. I've recently been able to put that into practice and it's life changing. It truly keeps me at peace no matter who says or does anything. Unfortunately it's just going to take more practice to do this with sick family members.
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 02:11:19 PM »

Hi peacefromwithin,

After a lifetime of brainwashing, it's really hard to remind myself sometimes that it's them and not me. I love the idea, however, of creating emotional distance from what is being said. I've recently been able to put that into practice and it's life changing. It truly keeps me at peace no matter who says or does anything. Unfortunately it's just going to take more practice to do this with sick family members.

Yep, it seems to be a combination of FOG and what you have internalized or been taught both take time and practice to learn to get around.  My SO's (significant other's) daughters struggle with this too when it comes to their uBPDmom unfortunately they have to learn to protect themselves both from emotional abuse and enmeshment, it's really tough to be in the middle of those 2 places.  My wish for them is that they someday are able to "radically accept" that their mom is who she is (not the mom they wish she was) and have the relationship (or not) that they want from that place.

I think you have a great idea  Thought coming up with a short and sweet mantra that you can pull up in those rough interactions where someone is saying something untrue or hurtful that can keep you grounded. Might be something to bring up with my SO's daughters that could be helpful to them too.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Peacefromwithin

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 11:37:31 AM »

Yep, it seems to be a combination of FOG and what you have internalized or been taught both take time and practice to learn to get around.  My SO's (significant other's) daughters struggle with this too when it comes to their uBPDmom unfortunately they have to learn to protect themselves both from emotional abuse and enmeshment, it's really tough to be in the middle of those 2 places.  My wish for them is that they someday are able to "radically accept" that their mom is who she is (not the mom they wish she was) and have the relationship (or not) that they want from that place.

What exactly do I do to practice to learn to get around it? I don't know even know where to start. But I thought a mantra might help.

I'm sorry your SO's daughter struggles with this. I had no idea how to protect myself so whatever she can learn now would benefit her a lot. Acceptance was the hardest thing for me because I was programmed to believe that whenever my mother raged, it was entirely my fault (as in, "LOOK AT WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO ME!"   But had someone said to me, "PFW, your mother is insane. It's not your fault how she behaves" then I'm certain my life would have been a lot different. So I hope that helps you with your SO's daughter.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Excerpt
I think you have a great idea  Thought coming up with a short and sweet mantra that you can pull up in those rough interactions where someone is saying something untrue or hurtful that can keep you grounded. Might be something to bring up with my SO's daughters that could be helpful to them too.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Thanks, Panda.   I have the idea but I don't have any ideas for an actual mantra. Do you have any? I hope this idea can help your SO's daughter, too. Maybe something for her like, "how my mother is acting has nothing to do with me. I didn't cause it, I can't change it, and I can't control it." (that's an Al-anon thing actually).
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest