Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 02:38:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help/Feeling Lost as a Caregiver  (Read 385 times)
LostMoonlight
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 17, 2017, 04:25:30 PM »

I am not sure where to even begin.  My husband has been diagnosed with major depressive disorder as well as generalized anxiety disorder.  Both him and I have suspected for awhile he is dealing with BPD - he hits every single marker and everything on the BPD central website is all too familiar.

While we are finding him help, I am struggling.  He attempted suicide a few weeks ago and thankfully didn't succeed.  We put him under suicide watch at a mental health facility for 5 days.  He has his ups and downs of course, and a lot of paranoia.  Mostly seems to trigger when I am not with him.  Such as when he or I are working.  He is in therapy and group classes, as well as, seeing a psychiatrist.  My psychiatrist and therapist appointments are this coming week.

I love him dearly but I am having a hard time keeping myself together.  While I am not a depressive I deal with a lot of anxiety - generalized anxiety.  Every time he spirals downward I hit a wall of panic often leading to a panic attack that I feel I have to hide.  I have been very strong for him but I am starting to have a hard time keeping it together.  I feel like I am re-gluing myself together constantly after being strong for so many people in my family, past relationships, and friends.  I am getting frustrated with myself and the whole situation. Finding a support group for this is seeming next to impossible.

People keep telling me to take time for myself but I don't really know what that means.  When I ask how I keep getting told to get a mani/pedi, take a bath, etc.  But that doesn't help me.  I am on medication for my anxiety and it controls everything well unless he spirals downward/is triggered.  My mind starts racing about what he might do to himself.  We have a mental health/crisis plan and such.  All weapons and medications are locked up.  I feel like I am babbling aimlessly.  Part of me feels bad for complaining.  I talk with my family and friends but no one has dealt with something like this.  I just don't know what to do to keep myself in one piece, help.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

isilme

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 11:32:40 AM »

Taking time for yourself is a very subjective thing.  Personally, I need to be able to be left alone to read a book.  I have found that watching TV or playing games never relax me as much as being able tor read for an hour of two, uninterrupted.  And if I doze off, the more the better. 

Time alone in the bathroom is a big thing, too.  Like yours, my H seems to feel my presence is a security blanket, and so when he is away from me and feeling anxiety, he tends to want to be in the bathroom with me everytime I am showering, so I feel suffocated a little bit and like I have little to no alone time.  That's "me-time".  Just a few minutes here and there where you can be concerned with just you... .not how is he?  What does he need?  What should I be doing?  You can't operate at that level of worry for long periods of time.

Never feel bad for "complaining" here.  That is what this board is for.  It's a place to get it out, organize it in writing, and not keep it all bottled up. 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest