Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 05:50:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 354 times)
Iamokay
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 18, 2017, 12:06:33 PM »

I am just getting started. My wife may suffer from BPD but no diagnosis has been made. A counselor who is working with us believes this could be the issue. We are a blended family; my 15 year old son. Her 15 year old son and 13 year old daughter. Married one year. I told our therapist that I felt like I am always walking on egg shells she introduced me to Ms. Kreger's book. The subject of BPD has not even come up yet with my wife so I have no idea where this will go. She tells me her father was borderline and narcissistic. She was abused. She was in treatment at 11. She is now 42 I am 63.  Ex husband came from wealth and was a drug addict. Died of an overdose four months after we married last year. Her daughter tried to commit suicide two weeks before he died. Her son is doing drugs. My son does not. Our home is toxic. She wants out but she wants to stay. Very tenuous where I find myself. Seeing our marriage therapist Wednesday. I feel anything is possible if you want it badly enough and I have no intention of leaving her but she might make that decision for us. Doing anything feels good to me and I am happy to have found out that something called BPD exists as I am beginning to feel sane again. Whoever reads this, thank you for taking the time.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

wendydarling
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 02:32:27 AM »

Hello Imokay and welcome to bpdfamily 

I'm sorry for what brings you here and glad you found us, there are members in similar situations to yours, you are not alone. I'm glad you are beginning to feel sane again, it helps us having a greater understanding of what's happening and why. Have you seen the tools and lessons to the right  Bullet: important point (click to insert in post) that help us improve any relationships we have, not just pw BPD or traits. In what way are you walking on eggshells Imokay?

WDx

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »

Hi Iamokay,

Welcome

I'd like to join wendydarling and welcome you to bpdfamily. A pwBPD want emotional intimacy, closeness triggers the disorder, the closer that you are to a pwBPD the worst that the behaviors are. A pwBPD will push you away because it triggers their fear of engulfment, feeling like they're losing their sense of self in the r/s. That distance when they push you away then triggers what they fear most which is abandonment, the core criterion for BPD is the fear of abandonment. This push / pull cycle feels like crazy making behavior from the non disordered partner.

Bullet: contents of text or email (click to insert in post) wendydarling gave you some excellent tools / lessons, I understand how the behaviors are confusing when you don't know that the person may have BPD traits, I suggest to read as much as you can about the disorder, it help you understand why she acts the way that she does, it normalizes the behavior, it helps you with depersonalizing the behaviors.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest