Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 08:03:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I get some peace?  (Read 375 times)
sonofbpd2017!
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: June 22, 2017, 09:45:55 AM »

I am 51 years old and it is clear my mother has BPD as well as other disorders of the mind.  After reading the items on this website I understand there is peace ahead, but when.

I need some help breaking through - not loathing myself, seeing the truth, accepting reality and then living with it.  I need help.

SonofBPD2017!
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 11:30:38 AM »

Hey sonofBPD2017!    
Welcome to the Community!

I'm so sorry that your mom has BPD (and other mental illnesses) and about the effect it has on you. 
Quote from: sonofBPD2017!
I need some help breaking through - not loathing myself, seeing the truth, accepting reality and then living with it.  I need help.

RADICAL ACCEPTANCE  is a strategy that can help you accept your reality. Do you think your feelings of self-loathing are a result of fear, obligation and guilt that your mom may be imposing on you?

The information at the links below should be helpful:
FOG
FOG DISCUSSION THREAD

BOUNDARIES:
Boundaries are for your benefit, and it is up to you to enforce them. Whether you need to set a boundary now or later, best to be prepared:  

BOUNDARIES WORKSHOP

BOUNDARIES ARTICLE

EXAMPLES

FIVE SIGNS OF UNHEALTHY BOUNDARIES

Are there some boundaries you would like to set?  Is there a recent event that brought you here?  What are some or her behaviors that are most bothersome at this time?

There is a lot of helpful information here.  Take things a step at a time.  Learning certain strategies and communication skills can make things easier for you over time.

We look forward to hearing more of your story.  Being cool (click to insert in post)

Peacefromwithin

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »

I am 51 years old and it is clear my mother has BPD as well as other disorders of the mind.  After reading the items on this website I understand there is peace ahead, but when.

I need some help breaking through - not loathing myself, seeing the truth, accepting reality and then living with it.  I need help.

SonofBPD2017!

Nibbler posted some excellent links above. I'm sure you will find them useful.

I think many of us have been where you're at. I'm still new but here's what helped me so far:

(1) Realizing that my parents are mentally ill
(2) Admitting that I can't change them
(3) Seeing that nothing of how they act or what they say is my fault
(4) Detaching with love
(5) Accepting how they act and behave as in knowing that no matter what I do or say won't change them
(6) Setting boundaries repeatedly with them
(7) Not trusting when they suddenly act "nice" or "normal", because that's usually done out of manipulation to reel me back into their circus
(8) Read through the Lessons and Survivor's Guide here --->
(9) Talk things out with a therapist
(10) Try not to listen to the messages in your head that say to hate yourself. Tell yourself those are lies put there by mentally ill people
(11) Realize you have nothing to feel guilty about by setting boundaries or limiting contact. You are doing it for your peace of mind and survival.
(12) Seeing the truth sometimes takes time, so be patient with yourself. Trust your gut. And whatever the truth is, don't lose yourself in the emotions and feelings of it. Just accept it as fact. But at the same time, allow yourself to heal.

Roselily
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 04:02:27 PM »

Welcome sonofBPD,
Boy do I understand where you're at! I still am looking for peace there. I've forgiven best I can, but suffer from PTSD. It gets worse in summer ... my T and I connected that to being alone with her so much, when school was out for years, and enduring her daily cruel attacks. It started really early on with me, daily ... so it's hard to " forget". I can feel my sadness creeping in... being ending June. August is usually worst... probably when the abuse crescendoed ... at its worst.
It's an terrible thing, being a child of a BPD parent. It has caused so much pain, hardship, brokenness and despair.Ive asked God navy times to take me, that this ain't living...
However, my mother now at 84, doesn't seem affected... and denies all abusive behaviors. Yes, she may have been sick, but even so... has no remorse for neglect
or excessive control tactics, with terrible emotional abuse... It's good we have this place, to know we aren't alone... .in this... .
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest