Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 10:59:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD Males and Assertive Non-BPD Females  (Read 385 times)
WatercolorPencil
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« on: August 22, 2017, 08:07:52 PM »

Hello-
I'm curious about the thoughts of others concerning this topic. I have noticed that some males with BPD are attracted to assertive, non-BPD, non-co-dep females and I'm wondering why that might be? I have met several over time whom exhibit this tendency and its interesting. I have some hypotheses but, like I mentioned, I want to hear what others think.
hope2727

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:11:59 PM »

Interesting question. I had a psychologist team me that mine mirrored people he admired so that he could feel better about himself. Unfortunately when the truth of who he was came to light he couldn't sustain the image any longer. Its sad really. He and I were a great team when he wasn't being well him. I'd be really interested to hear what other people had to say.
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 08:52:30 PM »

This might get you started. Clink the link for a discussion on this author's work.

The Narcissistic / Borderline Couple
Author: Joan Lachkar, PhD
Publisher: Brunner/Mazel; 1 edition (February 1, 1992)
Paperback: 242 pages
ISBN-10: 0876306342
ISBN-13: 978-0876306345

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 10:04:52 AM »

THis is a topic that I think about often. I am an assertive female and my H is BPD. From what I've read about the subject, it's actually pretty common for a male with BPD to be drawn to a strong female. He finds comfort in her ability to make decisions, handle situations, etc. and it makes him feel good about himself that someone with power would be interested in him. He can live vicariously through her.

But when he begins to feel bad about himself, the assertive, confident nature of the woman can cause him to feel weak, ineffective, controlled, etc. He begins to need to control her and the verbal assaults begin.

When I look at the dynamic of the book that Skip just posted, it scares me. It's hard to wonder if perhaps I am narcissistic, or at least on the high end of the spectrum. I worry a lot about being a covert narcissist. I don't think I am. I think 3 years ago, the NPD/BPD dynamic was definitely in effect with him. Since then I have detached myself from requiring his adorement during the Idolise phase and really looked at myself as whether I am a victim or not.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »

It's hard to wonder if perhaps I am narcissistic, or at least on the high end of the spectrum. I worry a lot about being a covert narcissist.

Not to hijack, but so what if you have narcissistic insecurities? Seeing this is not a death sentence, its a window into our own psyche. The Internet stigmatizes mental illness and it becomes a black label. But that is not what it should be at all. We don't need to buy into that, anymore than we should believe the happy world according to Facebook.  Being cool (click to insert in post)

If you have narcissistic insecurities and embrace them, you can then start working with them. It's not unlike an introvert working against their natural tendencies and becoming a dynamic public speaker.

People with BPD aren't attracted to the narcissistic insecurities, they are attracted to the strength and drive - good things about narcissistic tendencies. This is just the same way that people are attracted to BPD tendencies for their deep emotional expression (not the attachment struggles and impulsiveness).

"Gnothi seauton".  Know thyself.

WatercolorPencil
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 07:38:28 PM »

Thanks for contributing your thoughts! I'm going to look into the book! It sounds interesting. I don't think that assertiveness in females is always an indicator of narcissism but I agree that knowing yourself and recognizing if there are tendencies or insecurities provides areas for growth. Still, assertiveness can also indicate strong boundaries and the diligence to protect said boundaries, which is something I think might be attractive to a Male with BPD. Maybe the assertions and boundaries amp up a game like atmosphere or make it more challenging? Just some thoughts of my own. Someone mentioned the possibility of mirroring admirable qualities. A male with BPD once stated to me that was something he did because he wanted to achieve those qualities but has heretofore been unable to do so, which starts his cycle over again.
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »

Still, assertiveness can also indicate strong boundaries and the diligence to protect said boundaries, which is something I think might be attractive to a Male with BPD... .A male with BPD once stated to me that was something he did because he wanted to achieve those qualities but has heretofore been unable to do so, which starts his cycle over again.

Sure. Aligning with someone who has strengths where you are week is attractive. pwBPD also do better much better with structure. 

If you don't mind, what is the context? This sounds personal.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest