Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:12:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just wanting to hang out and learn...  (Read 336 times)
Maiden7
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 17, 2017, 08:03:36 PM »

Not sure where to start.
It been years of walking through all this confusion, but now that we know
'what' IT is (BPD/NPD)... .it just seems so BIG.
I want to begin to hear other people's stories.  Hear their experiences and
wisdom of what they've learned.  And figure out ways to help my children (21,18, and 11)
begin their recovery.

So thank you for letting me into this arena to do that!
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 10:22:41 PM »

Hi Maiden7,

Welcome to the BPD Family 

Yes, "it" finally has a name it was a relief for me too when I found something that described my significant other's (SO's) undiagnosed BPD ex-wife (uBPDxw) and you're right there is a lot to learn but don't let it overwhelm you. 

When I first found out I started my education at my local library and checked out all the books they had on the subject and read about it.

Here are a couple of good books on BPD if you want to read more about it.  I found books helped me get a good general understanding of what BPD is and helped to sort out the chaos that I was seeing.

Stop Walking on Eggshells: Taking Your Life Back When Someone You Care About Has Borderline Personality Disorder by: Paul Mason Randi Kreger

Overcoming Borderline Personality Disorder: A Family Guide for Healing and Change
by: Valerie Porr

Can you tell us a little bit more about you and what you are having issues with in terms of your kids?  How can we help?

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 10:38:21 PM »

Hi Maiden7, panda said it all very well Smiling (click to insert in post) welcome to a group of people who have also felt relieved to put a description to some really tough behaviors. I still feel "new" here so you're in good company!

My husband aka DH has 2 girls SD (stepdaughter) 11 years old & SD9. DH & I have had a really good marriage counselor for a few years which has been a HUGE help, I highly recommend finding a counselor for yourself. It's made an even bigger difference for the kids, especially for SD11, to have their own counselor. This only happened after 6 months of legal shenanigans but if that's what it takes, I really recommend getting a counselor for the kids too. Tip: find (or agree to) one who is in a group practice (i.e. maybe has a supervisor); that way they're less likely to get snowed by BPDx's behaviors.

Lived & Learned will probably recommend a book called (I think) The Power of Validation. It is geared for parents of kids up through high school but it should be applicable to any age.

That's the nutshell version; again, welcome! You are definitely not alone in this.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest