Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 07:50:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving - Pete Walker, MFT  (Read 556 times)
freespirit

What is your sexual orientation: Other
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

Cosmic The Cat

« on: September 21, 2017, 03:58:52 PM »

Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
Author: Pete Walker, MFT
Publisher: Self published, December 2013 (no publisher)
Paperback: 374 pages
ISBN-10: 1492871842
ISBN-13: 978-1492871842

"Become an unflinching source of kindness and self-compassion for yourself."  - Pete Walker.

About the Book
Hi, I am an adult child of an NPD/Borderline mother and alcoholic father with Complex PTSD.  I have recently bought Pete Walker's new book, Complex PTSD: From Surviving To Thriving. I feel so grateful for the helpfulness of this book and would love to host a thread on it. Is anyone else reading this book?  Thankyou ~ Freespirit  

About the Author

Pete Walker has Complex PTSD [Cptsd] and wrote this book from the perspective of someone who has experienced a great reduction of symptoms over the years. He also wrote it from the viewpoint of someone who has discovered many silver linings in the long, windy, bumpy road of recovering from Cptsd.

Walker has a private practice in Berkeley, California. He has been working as a counselor for thirty-five years, and as a trainer, supervisor and consultant of other therapists for 20 years.

The Truth Waits Until We Are Ready.
Kwamina
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:37:48 PM »

Hi freespirit

Thanks for posting this.

I too am very positive about Pete Walker's work and am familiar with several of his writings on topics such as emotional flashbacks, the inner (and outer) critic and grieving, indeed all in relation to Complex PTSD.

cPTSD is a difficult disorder and Pete Walker's work provides valuable tools and strategies for navigating yourself through these difficulties.

What do you find the most helpful aspects of this book?

The Board Parrot

PS. Cool glasses by the way and who says cats and birds don't go well together Smiling (click to insert in post)

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
freespirit

Cosmic The Cat

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 01:23:22 PM »

Hi, its a good job to be the board parot in bpdfamily!     . thankyou for sharing your experience with Pete Walker's work. It's very nice to meet you. I think you're right about us going well together  Smiling (click to insert in post)  Thanks for the comments on my glasses     

I have only recently bought Pete Walker's book Complex PTSD: From Surviving To Thriving. I have so far only read one chapter, Chapter 6, Whats Your Trauma Type? I identify my trauma type as Fawn/Freeze. I have to take this very slowly. This is like rocket fuel to me.

I have never known a book like this. For such "heavy" subject material, energetically it feels very Thought "light"  Thought to me. There is no "barrier" in the way so to speak. I LOVE the layout.  He's made it so you can dip in and out of it and read what ever resonates on any given day, it's fantastic. Very accessible.  

It's my goal to read at least one page of it a day. Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Freespirit

Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 08:31:07 PM »

Hi Freespirit,  

I also have a copy of the book. It is a good, helpful, and heavy read in that you can only absorb so much at one time. I have yet to make it through the book all the way, but I have sections that I am working through and refer back to quite often. I agree with you that it is very easy to access and to find what you may be needing in any particular day or moment that will be helpful.

Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
freespirit

Cosmic The Cat

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 05:18:52 PM »

Hi Freespirit,  

I also have a copy of the book. It is a good, helpful, and heavy read in that you can only absorb so much at one time. I have yet to make it through the book all the way, but I have sections that I am working through and refer back to quite often. I agree with you that it is very easy to access and to find what you may be needing in any particular day or moment that will be helpful.

Wools

Hi Wools   Thanks for sharing   

My husband,18 old daughter and I are reading the book together. So far we have only read Chapter 6, Whats Your Trauma Type? I identify my trauma type as Fawn/Freeze. This is something I would like to know more about. I am about to start reading chapter 6 again, this will be my 3rd read through. Interesting reading.

Kwamina
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 07:03:18 AM »

Hi, its a good job to be the board parot in bpdfamily!

It is indeed! Smiling (click to insert in post)

I identify my trauma type as Fawn/Freeze. This is something I would like to know more about.

We have talked a bit about various trauma response types before in our thread about dealing with trauma, perhaps you will find this interesting:

In his work Pete Walker also discusses less healthy and less constructive ways of coping with emotional flashbacks:

"Without help in the moment, the client typically remains lost in the flashback and has no recourse but to once again fruitlessly reenact his own particular array of primitive, self-injuring defenses to what feel like unmanageable feelings. I find that most clients can be guided to see the harmfulness of these previously necessary, but now outmoded, defenses as misfirings of their fight, flight, freeze, or fawn responses. These misfirings then, cause dysfunctional warding off of feelings in four different ways:

1. fighting or over-asserting one's self with others in narcissistic and entitled ways such as misusing power or promoting excessive self-interest;

2. fleeing obsessive-compulsively into activities such as workaholism, sex and love addiction, or substance abuse ('uppers'

3. freezing in numbing, dissociative ways such as sleeping excessively, over-fantasizing, or tuning out with TV or medications ('downers'

4. fawning in self-abandoning and obsequious codependent relating.

As clients learn that their originally helpful defenses now needlessly hinder them, they can begin to replace them with the anxiolytic and therapeutic responses to flashbacks"

Being mindful of these potentially unhelpful coping mechanisms can help us as we try to learn new, more healthy and constructive ways of dealing with emotional flashbacks.

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
freespirit

Cosmic The Cat

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 02:42:49 PM »

Thanks for the great link to the thread about dealing with trauma Kwamina  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  I am on reading it now   

Loved that Pete Walker quote you used where it discusses less healthy and less constructive ways of coping with emotional flashbacks.

Looking at it now, I think I am more Fawn/Flight, rather than Fawn/Freeze. It's good to get clear.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest