Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 05:39:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: daughter in law with BPD traits  (Read 418 times)
maman

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« on: November 01, 2017, 04:08:45 PM »

I found out about 3 weeks ago that my daughter in law had been threatening suicide many times, that she had threatened to kill my son with a knife in hand.  He has felt trapped since February and is now separated and wants a legal separation.  She doesn't know this yet, she thinks he just wants some space.  They have had no contact for 2 weeks, now he's trying to figure out how to break the news to her that it's over.
Struggles

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 04:26:31 PM »

Hi Maman,

I'm so sorry to hear about this.  That is a very scary situation.  Because she has threatened herself and now your son has he considered possibly going through the courts to get her some help?  Usually when they are a threat to themselves or others he may can do that. 

But, if he is just looking to cut ties all together I understand if that's something he might not want to do.  Has he also possibly considered a restraining order?  Not sure how this works with a husband and wife. 

With a personal that has BPD their fear of abandonment can be so great that it makes them lash out even more.  Maybe he might consider having someone with him when he tells her?

Im sure more people will come along with suggestions and similar stories.  Sending lots of hope of peace and resolution your way! 
maman

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 02:43:39 PM »

Thank you for your insight.  I think my son will only call her, he wants no direct contact.  I've been advised by a counselor who has treated BPDs for 30 years to have no direct contact.  I think both of her parents also have BPD.  They are in denial that she has anything wrong with her.  Her father actually said " She doesn't mean what she says,you know women never say what they mean, she's too much of a coward to kill herself."
Struggles

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 06:41:10 PM »

I would agree that no direct contact would be the best thing. 

I have heard that BPD can be passed down.  That had to be hard to hear her dad say that about her being too much of a coward to kill herself.  It definitely sounds like he could have BPD traits.  I don't think that's something most people would take so lightly, especially given it is his daughter.

I hope that your son and you are finding more peace now that you aren't directly in contact. 

Praying for y'all and hoping everything gets better!
maman

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 01:45:33 PM »

Hello again.  We have't had contact with the daughter in law for about 7 weeks, so things have been peaceful.  My son and I went to see a family attorney a week ago and she strongly recommended a separation agreement, so that he would be protected legally and financially. However,  he's having a hard time  deciding on what to do.  I was rather surprised by this, I thought he would want to put things in order.  He says it feels surreal, and months ago he dreamed of this day, but now it's hard to pull the trigger.  I'm trying not push him, though the decision seems obvious to me.  Any advice on how to help my son through this process ?
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 02:31:16 PM »

Hi Maman,

Just wanted to pop in and suggest you post on the Legal Board, the members have gone through and are going through what your son is dealing with.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?board=10.0

However,  he's having a hard time  deciding on what to do.  I was rather surprised by this, I thought he would want to put things in order.  He says it feels surreal, and months ago he dreamed of this day, but now it's hard to pull the trigger.

Sometimes it takes the heart time to catch up to the head.  This can also be FOG... .Fear, Obligation, Guilt.  Fear that she will hurt herself, Obligation to his marriage commitment, or Guilt that he couldn't help her... .or any number of things.

Don't push him just let him talk it out and think it through, just be there for him.  It took me 3 aborted attempts at divorce before I was really ready and did it.

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest