Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 03:52:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: She demands I move to the guest house.  (Read 411 times)
SurvivingBP17

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: November 11, 2017, 01:03:22 AM »

My uBPDw wants me to move into our guest home. She says it's over, and has for 3 months. But insists I move out of the house and into the guest house across the yard.

I can't make heads or tails of it. Is this some kind of punishment game? Or just a stepping stone to something bigger?

I feel like she is pushing me away, but trying to keep me close. As if she wants to see me miserable.

Any guesses?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Meili

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:16:48 AM »

I won't make any guesses about her motivation, but I would question why it is that you are the one being asked to leave. If she's unhappy with the situation, why should it be your responsibility to fix it for her?
SurvivingBP17

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 10:09:09 PM »

Excerpt
RELATIONSHIP RECOVERY AND FIRST AID
This discussion board is for discussing effective actions for returning a relationship to stability. This is not a place for relationship evaluations.
Often the best tactic for a relationship in crisis is to back off, give the other person space, and empathetically listen rather than fueling and refueling old arguments.

Did I misunderstand this piece of advice? I don't want live over here. It's not only embarrassing, but I can't explain how it feels to not hear my kids sleeping on the other side of the wall. Been in this situation before, only the other times we didn't have a guest house, and I had no clue about BPD

But they are all safe and content (I think) Unfortunately my kids have been conditioned to deal with these breakups. uBPDw is a master of justifying this to our kids. But as the son of divorced parents, I know how this impacts life later.

But at the same time the situation was not improving with me in the house.  Besides, w feels that everything we have is hers. From the cars, to the kids, to the dogs. In her mind she has complete ownership of everything. An argument I have had too many times.
hope2727

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 10:13:05 PM »

If she wants to end the marriage she can move to the guest house.
SurvivingBP17

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 07:29:32 AM »

I agree with you about the fact that if she wants out, then she should be the one to move.

But I'm really confused about the action I should be taking right now. On one hand, I'm supposed to give her space and be empathetic to her feelings. And I get it. Outwardly she continues to push me away and terate her intentions.  This morning she even had the nerve to say that this decision to split is mutual. It is not in any way mutual. Which makes me wonder what she is telling the kids. I have told her repeatedly that I do not want a divorce, nor will I give her one. DIivorce is a boundary, that I will not willingly cross, and I will hold to that. I have also made sure to have discussions with my kids about what's going on.

My intent right now is to continue being supportive, maintain the routine of the house, and rebuild trust between her and I. Isn't that what us "caretakers" of pwBPD are supposed to do?

Meili

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:34:03 AM »

When we talk about giving others space, we mean don't be clingy or needy, don't  smother them, don't beg them, don't plead, cry, etc., don't demand answers... .I think that you get the idea.

Listening with Empathy allows you to hear what she's actually telling you. It helps you become less defensive because you can understand her feelings and a person's feelings are never wrong even if we do not agree with the source of the feelings. It does not mean that you have to agree with her feelings, just accept that she has them.

Your plan is a good start. Being an emotional caretaker means:

Excerpt
  • Maintaining routine and structure
  • Setting and maintain boundaries
  • Being empathetic, building trust, even in difficult times
  • Don’t tolerate abusive treatment, threats and ultimatums
  • In crisis, stay calm, don’t get defensive, don't take it personally
  • Don’t protect them from natural consequences of their actions - let them fail
  • Self-Destructive acts/threats require action

And at the same time, its important to understand that you and your behavior cannot rehabilitate anyone - you can only end your contribution to the emotional instability of the relationship.

You have to be the strong, constant, continuing, empathic force who can listen and handle being the target of intense rage and idealization while concurrently defining limits and boundaries with firmness and candor.

You can read more about this role here.
SurvivingBP17

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 09:15:36 PM »

Thanks, I appreciate the clarification.  Looks like I caved on one of the boundaries I set. I did hold out for two months. But she switched it up on me, and instead of being agressive and demanding I leave, she was much nicer about it. In hindsight, I see how I could have handled it differently.

But on a positive note, for a moment we were able to communicate without arguing. I used the empathetic listening skills that you mentioned. She even apologized for being rude this morning. She stated that she just wanted her own space. The conversation may have lasted less than a minute.

It would probably be unwise for me to try to pull a reversal and just move back in. I can only imagine how unhinged she would become if I did that. I'll just continue to see where this goes and try to stand firmly when I set boundaries.

Meili

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 09:35:07 AM »

Yes, it would probably cause problems for you to just decide to reverse your position, especially after her telling you that she her needs. When things calm down a bit, perhaps you can talk to her about a plan to get you back in the house.

In the meantime, you can put some energy into looking at how you handle things, the choices that you make, and why. This will help you a lot in the future.

You mentioned your boundaries. It is important to remember that boundaries about how we choose to live our lives and not about other people or what they do. Boundaries are not punitive in nature. They are not about telling the other person what to do; but, rather about what we do. You can read more about boundaries and see examples of good ones here.
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »

It would probably be unwise for me to try to pull a reversal and just move back in.

It would be wise to see a lawyer and understand the legal implications of your decisions. O know you want to save the relationship and we want to help you, but don't set yourself up for a sucker punch. Getting you to move out has significant repercussions.

As for recovering the relationship, its best not to lay in wait and try to please her at every turn... .she will see that as weakness and it won't help.  I would start building a cool, independent life with kids and others and also be very nice and attractive to her.

SurvivingBP17

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 09:29:30 AM »

Thanks Skip,

It would be wise to see a lawyer and understand the legal implications of your decisions. O know you want to save the relationship and we want to help you, but don't set yourself up for a sucker punch. Getting you to move out has significant repercussions.

As for recovering the relationship, its best not to lay in wait and try to please her at every turn... .she will see that as weakness and it won't help.  I would start building a cool, independent life with kids and others and also be very nice and attractive to her.

Hi all.  It's been a few days since I logged on, but yesterday I realized just how helpful that you all have been.  I can't thank you enough for the advice and encouragement as I navigate through my situation.  I also want to thank you guys for not allowing me to just assume the role of victim and keep me on track to improving my situation.

Skip, I'll definitely look into the ramifications of moving out.  I know that a big stipulation is the fact that everything is in her name.  I know... .you are all shaking your heads.  Don't worry I shake mine all the time.  My uBPDw purchased the property while we were separated (divorced if you ask her... .still no paperwork filed). And while there have been conversations about adding me to the deed, this is the same woman who hasn't referred to our children as "ours" in as long as i can remember. And to my own chagrin I have called her selfish, territorial, and some other synonyms that she repeatedly reminds me of.

I am trying to keep myself level headed through this.  While I haven't posted myself, I have read many other people's posts and I'm trying to learn and implement the ways of the BPD Masters.  Harnessing the force within me in order to combat the darkside (within us both).  I keep reading the lessons on "Surviving confrontation and disrespect"https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=287068.msg12704923#msg12704923]

[/quote]

Hi all.  It's been a few days since I logged on, but yesterday I realized just how helpful that you all have been.  I can't thank you enough for the advice and encouragement as I navigate through my situation.  I also want to thank you guys for not allowing me to just assume the role of victim and keep me on track to improving my situation.

Skip, I'll definitely look into the ramifications of moving out.  I know that a big stipulation is the fact that everything is in her name.  I know... .you are all shaking your heads.  Don't worry I shake mine all the time.  My uBPDw purchased the property while we were separated (divorced if you ask her... .still no paperwork filed). And while there have been conversations about adding me to the deed, this is the same woman who hasn't referred to our children as "ours" in as long as i can remember. And to my own chagrin I have called her selfish, territorial, and some other synonyms that she repeatedly reminds me of.

I am trying to keep myself level headed through this.  While I haven't posted myself, I have read many other people's posts and I'm trying to learn and implement the ways of the BPD Masters.  Harnessing the force within me in order to combat the darkside (within us both).  I keep reading the lessons on "Surviving confrontation and disrespect"https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=287068.msg12704923#msg12704923 and "How to respond to heightend emotions" https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=168004.msg11986938#msg11986938.  I think they will have dramatic impact on fostering a better relationship and improving communication between us.  Had I done my homework two days ago, I may have been able to handle her dysregulation two nights ago.  Background: I moved out to the unfinished guest house across the yard.  My wife and I run a business from our home, so I am still at the house the majority of the day.  But, I try stay off the second floor where her bedroom and the kids' rooms are. In the week I've been out of the house, I have pretty much only gone up there to tuck my kids in. I do that because she feels that me being upstairs, takes away from her personal space.  I have been trying to give her space, so it hasn't been that difficult of a request for me to fulfill.   However, she was out at the bar, and I stayed home with the kids. Because I have been seeing less of them (they generally hang out upstairs in their room or my wife's huge room/living room) while I work downstairs, i decided to go up to their room to play some video games with them.  When she got home and saw us, she became enraged.  Saying that "I wouldn't come upstairs to get/do their laundry, but i feel its OK to come upstairs and play video games". I immediately went into the defensive, asking what was wrong with me spending time with our kids?  She came back with the accusation that I never spend time with them (which is untrue, I often play games with them, its just that she is at the bar usually).  And I always do their laundry on Saturday, and this happened on Friday. (Laundry is done by the way).  She then continued to tell me that I had no respect for her boundaries, and hadn't since 8 months ago when she told me to move out.  I bother didn't point out to her the fact that we have been broken up for only two months. And that in the time she refers to we were not necessarily-happily-married, but mutually in agreement about the fact that we were married.

But the point is I realized after rereading about communication with pwBPD that i was not listening to the underlying things she was saying.  She has always had issues with feeling trapped or pressured and she definitely seemed to feel that i was encroaching on her space.  She also has underlying feelings that I make her look like a bad parent.  I can see how she would feel that I was trying to "outshine" her.  And to make matters worse the kids witnessed/heard the whole loud shouting match, which I am sure made her feel like a bad example to our kids. (we routinely have to talk to the kids about controlling their emotions and not throwing tantrums).  All in all I could have handled it better.  I was completely invalidating, didn't enforce/set any boundaries, and still haven't talked about. And like the lesson says, and my uBPDw consistently reinforces "an ounce of invalidation will outweigh pounds of validation".  If I want things to get better, I have to quit digging myself deeper in the hole.

Perhaps I am being naive, but I still believe there is a future between us.  Perhaps I wouldn't if this was the first time something like this happened, but unfortunately it isn't. And maybe that is a fatal flaw within me that I continue to expose myself to this. But I think you have to a be a little off to want to be married to someone with BPD anyway.

Excerpt
I will try to follow your advice about building my own life though.  My only fear is that I have done it before, only to have to give it all up when we get back together.  As you know, pwBPD don't like when the attention is not on them. She once told me that the only reason I coach football is to get away from her.  Couldn't be farther from the truth. I literally have a complex about leaving the house or having friends. Then again, I can't just keep moping about waiting for her to change either.  The worst thing is that she calls me on that all the time. Her words "What?  You think I'm just going to change my mind all of a sudden? I DON"T LOVE YOU!"  Pretty harsh to have to hear.

Any advice?     

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest