Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 05:44:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Writing this bloody statement for court is going to be the death of me  (Read 418 times)
Lalathegreat

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: December 07, 2017, 02:02:17 AM »

So that might have been a little dramatic... .

But I simply cannot find the words. And most of you have probably noticed that I ALWAYS have words. But figuring out what to say that encapsulates my truth without including things I feel would send the wrong message has left me completely flumoxed.

Monday I started the process by opening a word document and just letting it rip. The thoughts that poured out ran the gamut from “I’m sorry that I knew you were mentally ill and decompensating and couldn’t figure out how to help you”, to “f*ck you!” (Hey, it was free writing... .doesn’t have to be eloquent!  )

Then I closed THAT document and opened the one to start writing the thoughts I feel fully comfortable sharing. And suddenly my entire statement was: “Thank you for the opportunity to be heard. I want the court to know that on the other side of the events of that day is a real person. I am a mother and a friend. As a result of (insert name)’s actions on July 12th I was damaged both physically and emotionally in ways I can only hope to fully recover from.”

And then crickets... .

Do I detail the boring physical details and talk about how next week I go in for my 3rd reconstructive procedure? Do I even touch the history of the entire relationship and the way it gutted me emotionally? Is it the worst idea to acknowledge that despite how damaged *I* have been, that a part of me still feels desperately sorry that I didn’t know how to help him?”

In the category of could things possibly get hairier, Friday is also my school’s Christmas pageant. As the only pianist on staff, I always get accompaniest honors. So if I decide to attend sentencing in person, it will mean going to work in the morning, getting through the Christmas chapel,  having my assistant teacher take over for the afternoon, and praying that there’s no traffic in Seattle on a Friday afternoon.

So you know, no stress... .

Anyways, if you guys have any thoughts whatsoever I would love to hear them. I’m starting to feel a little unhinged over here!

Lala
babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 05:10:39 AM »

Hi LaLa,

I would imagine that writing your statement for court must be wildly difficult.  Beyond belief difficult.

I have a practical suggestion if you don't mind.     Use a pen and paper.    Or pencil and paper.    It's not as weird as it sounds.    scientists have shown us that writing with pen and paper uses different neurological pathways than typing.   I would guess it has something to do with the speed of how you convey the message,   pen being slower,   and the act of concentrating on penmanship.    When I am particularly stuck on crafting thoughts I use a felt tip marker and 'paint' the letters.   I guess it warms up the creative side of the brain as opposed to the mechanical side of the brain? 

Hey it's worth a shot.   Being cool (click to insert in post)

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 09:19:24 AM »

“Thank you for the opportunity to be heard. I want the court to know that on the other side of the events of that day is a real person. I am a mother and a friend. As a result of (insert name)’s actions on July 12th I was damaged both physically and emotionally in ways I can only hope to fully recover from.”

Do I detail the boring physical details and talk about how next week I go in for my 3rd reconstructive procedure? Do I even touch the history of the entire relationship and the way it gutted me emotionally? Is it the worst idea to acknowledge that despite how damaged *I* have been, that a part of me still feels desperately sorry that I didn’t know how to help him?”

Great start. Yes, and yes.

I think the court needs to hear exactly what you've been going through and what awaits you. Surgery is no fun (I know from personal experience), and to explicitly detail what you've been through is totally appropriate, and you'll know how much you feel comfortable sharing. This needs to be documented otherwise it might be construed as a simple fistfight with a bloody nose.

Why not tell how much you've been emotionally impacted? That's certainly a big part of the story. And how you tried so hard to help him.

This is your time to share your truth, which you've been doing here so eloquently. I think it will be an important part of your healing process.   

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Sunfl0wer
`

Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 09:30:58 AM »

Thinking this all sounds like good ideas.
Maybe the point is to help make what happened “real” for everyone.  Sometimes the court language tends to depersonalize the acts in a way.  Maybe to put a face and a human to it all... .is what is helpful?  Show the person behind this who was affected is real, someone we can empathize with and gain a bit of what your experience was... .let you have a voice about the imapact to you.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
flourdust

Relationship status: In the process of divorce after 12 year marriage

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 10:16:58 AM »

Yes, tell your story. You wrote a lot of it here -- use that if you need help finding the words.

Fian

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 09:07:27 AM »

When it comes to communicating, I think it is important to remember your audience.  What do they want to learn.  In the case of the court, I believe they want to know 2 things:
1.  A detailed description of the assault.  Did he do it?  It sounds like you did not witness the assault as he attacked you from behind, but give what you know.  The part you know best is the motive behind the assault.  You were leaving him, and he couldn't stand that.  Giving the court a clear motive is an important part of building a case.
2.  How have you suffered as a result of the attack?  This goes to sentencing.  Here I would give a list of every day you spent in the hospital, every procedure you had to undergo.  How have you been permanently disabled as a result of the attack.  You mentioned emotional as well.  Give concrete examples of how you behave differently as a result of the attack.

I think number two is the part the court is going to care about the most.  They already have enough evidence that he did it, but you can put a face to the pain he caused.

One final thought.  You are concerned about sending the wrong message.  My advice is to just tell the truth.  If you are trying to craft the message so that he appears to be in the worst possible light, then I think that makes you a little less believable.  If some parts of your story make him a little sympathetic, that is fine.  Just focus on telling the truth.
GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 02:30:31 PM »

Absolutely, retail both the physical and emotional. Then add the consequences to YOU. I

"As a result of this physical damage, I continue to deal with... .and will have years ahead of treatment, etc. As a result of the emotional damage, I have PTSD, etc. etc... ."

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 02:52:45 PM »

If you are comfortable with the idea, when you have a draft that is getting near where you want it to be you might share it (or excerpts) here for feedback from the peanut gallery  (speaking as a peanut Smiling (click to insert in post))

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 11:10:06 AM »

How did it go Lala?   

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest