Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 04:15:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New member introduction  (Read 384 times)
Zen0

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 03, 2018, 10:01:14 AM »

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while as I've tried to process what happened with someone I dated. I don't know if she has been diagnosed with BPD, but I've seen other members post strikingly similar stories. I am sorry for the painful things many of you have gone through, but I thank you for sharing your strories. It's been helpful for me these past few months to feel less alone, and I feel hopeful now that I'm starting to move on.

I'll post more when I'm ready, but for now I just want to introduce myself.

Zen0
Lucky Jim

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:43:09 AM »

Hey ZenO, Welcome!  Often those suffering from BPD have yet to be diagnosed, due to their unwillingness to get help and take responsibility for their actions.  Yet as you note the stories posted here tend to be strikingly similar.  Take your time and fill us in, when you feel up to it.  In the meantime, I would like to confirm that you are not alone.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
vanx

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »

Hi, Zen0, and welcome! You are not alone. I am so glad you have found reading some of people's posts helpful. It takes some time to recover from a difficult situation. I'm happy to hear you have hope--there is plenty more to have hope for.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:08:58 PM »

Hi Zen0,

Welcome

Happy New Year! I’d like to join the others and welcome you. I’m glad to her that you had the courage to join after having lurked the forum. Welcome to the family!

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Zen0

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 05:41:08 PM »

Thank you all for the warm welcome! And happy new year to you too!

Lucky Jim, it's interesting that you used the phrase 'taking responsibility' for ones actions. That's actually something this woman said to me when I confronted her about how her actions had made me feel. She argued that I was only saying things to hurt her, even saying that I was verbally abusive for trying to explain why I was upset by how she treated me. The last email she sent me ended with the words, "you need to take responsibility for your words and actions."

It was so upsetting for me that I wondered whether I had been abusive. I even phoned a helpline for abusers here in the UK to talk about what had happened. Though the person I spoke with didn't think what I had said amounted to verbal abuse (he did help me identify strategies for improving communication), the email really stuck with me. I still wonder what I could have done better, or which actions it is I am supposed to take responsibility for, but since I am not going to get closure from this woman, I am trying to put it in the past and move forward.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 06:26:39 PM »

Hi Zen0,

Excerpt
which actions it is I am supposed to take responsibility for

You’re not responsible for someone else’s feelings. We’re responsible for our own self management.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Lucky Jim

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 10:35:11 AM »

Hey ZenO, Those w/BPD often shift responsibility to the Non, which gets it off their plate and onto yours.  My suggestion: don't catch the blame ball.  Instead, let it roll off your back.  Remember: poison is harmless if you don't ingest it!

LJ

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest