Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:08:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compassion Fatigue by Lois W. Choi-Kain Med, MD  (Read 975 times)
JQ

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 27, 2018, 03:15:47 AM »

Group,

This topic really hit home with me after decades of being a "caregiver/codependent" for a family member who has BPD. Doctor Choi-Kain uses the definition of "Burnout" & that really hit home.

This is about a hour long Webinar from McLean Hospital a Harvard Medical School affiliate & hosted by Lois W. Choi-Kain, MEd, MD, Medical and Program Director, Gunderson Residence

Compassion fatigue is a term that describes the way in which caregivers who are constantly giving are frequently at risk for mental instability and illness. Compassion fatigue symptoms are displays of chronic stress including isolation from others, poor self-care, excessive blaming, or substance abuse. Recognition that one may have compassion fatigue can lead to insights of past difficulty, greater self-care, and eventually healing and recovery. Both family members of and professionals working with individuals with borderline personality disorder (BPD) will benefit from recognition of this concept and tools to intervene in strengthening their status as supports to those with BPD.

https://mcleaneducation.adobeconnect.com/pwg3dz5vdc0u/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal
gotbushels

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:51:09 AM »

Wow this is a great find JQ. There are some tremendous tips in there for people in long haul relationships with a pwBPD.

I really liked her self-management tips (~50:00).

The data regarding countertransference is very interesting (~23:30). I like how the findings provide assurance that creating structure by using specific responses to a borderline (e.g., Lawson's suggestions) directly correspond to those helpless/disorganised factors.

Her boundary control ideas would be useful to SOs (~47:00). I struggled with this and it seems a lot of other people do.

I found the countertransference portion very interesting. I don't think she discusses managing this specifically but she does talk about managing compassion fatigue (~44:30).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions