Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 06, 2024, 10:20:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Constantly Defending Myself  (Read 397 times)
Anamika

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 20, 2018, 02:22:54 PM »

Why does it feel like I am constantly defending myself and being accountable?  Why is it always my fault?  Why can I not defend myself and it be okay?  Why must it be that I am always out to get her? 
The thing that is frustrating me today is an unfounded accusation from my UexBPDw.  She entered a statement with the court stating I had been diagnosed with a mental disorder.  So I had to jump through hoops to get my old counselor to write a letter stating this was not true.  But my old counselor is retired so I had to have the CEO of the company read my file and give me a statement stating clearly that I had never been diagnosed with a mental issue.  Then to top it all off I see my ex-wife's counselor when I walk in.  This is the person who has never spoken to me but stated in a document that I am a narcissist.  How can you make this determination if you have never spoken to me?  How can you validate your patients thoughts if you have no basis for this claim?
My wife says she is grasping at anything before the custody trial.  Instead of attacking me I wish she would put that much attention into the kids.  I bet she would have a much better relationship with them.   This trial is only days away.  I pray this goes well and the judge sees what the core issue is here. 
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 07:33:06 PM »

Why does it feel like I am constantly defending myself and being accountable?  Why is it always my fault?  Why can I not defend myself and it be okay?  Why must it be that I am always out to get her?

Because our ex-spouses have had a lifetime learning how to manipulate, slant and misrepresent truths.  It is up to us to turn that around and admittedly that's very hard.

The thing that is frustrating me today is an unfounded accusation from my UexBPDw.  She entered a statement with the court stating I had been diagnosed with a mental disorder... .Then to top it all off I see my ex-wife's counselor when I walk in.  This is the person who has never spoken to me but stated in a document that I am a narcissist.  How can you make this determination if you have never spoken to me?

I don't know the laws in your state but I would consider that her counselor veered into improper and perhaps even unethical conduct.  It's pretty obvious that a professional would refrain from diagnosing someone they've never even interviewed.  At most I would expect the counselor to write, "Based upon what my patient has told me and documents my patient has shown me, Anamika may... ."  If the counselor himself or herself wrote an unconditional statement and it was submitted to court then it needs to be specifically contested.  (It's possible a complaint could be made to the state board for unethical conduct.  A lot depends on what was actually written and how it was phrased.  Again, a subject to discuss with your lawyer.  For example, if lawyer agrees it was totally inappropriate/unethical and state it is being referred to the ethics or certification board, the counselor may retract it right there in court.)

Courts know a lot of allegations are thrown back and forth, they let a lot of it go because they expect once the divorce and custody struggles are in the past then (reasonably normal) parents will calm down and move on.  What the court often isn't prepared to handle is that a parent may not be reasonably normal and thus eventually cooperative.  Sometimes it can take months or years before the court decides to switch gears.  Unless murder or something serious or newsworthy like that is involved, courts often ignore whether a parent is disordered.  (As an example, a parent could be an alcoholic and as long as the children aren't substantively endangered, abused or neglected then court may not see that as a concern impacting parenting.)  And as I indicate below, courts generally don't try to fix people, they deal with them as they are.

Instead of attacking me I wish she would put that much attention into the kids.  I bet she would have a much better relationship with them.   This trial is only days away.  I pray this goes well and the judge sees what the core issue is here.

You can't force her to be a better parent.  And unless she crosses a line that makes her behaviors 'actionable', the courts may not even try.

You may feel like complaining and for certain things that is appropriate.  However, ponder which topics and issues for which you can also present solutions to the court.  Over time the court may realize you're the only one coming with practical solutions that aren't subtle and not-so-subtle obstructions intended to block the other parent.  What are the biggest obstacles you face?  Can you and your lawyer propose ways to resolve them, even if it takes the judge to comment or rule?

david

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 09:13:30 PM »

It may be that ex has been diagnosed and you just don't know or she knows something is not "right". If that is the case she may be projecting her diagnosis or belief onto you.
My ex ran away and literally emptied our house. She did, however, leave a journal of hers which I never knew about. It had every criteria for diagnosis of BPD except suicidal ideation in it and it was in her handwriting.The things she wrote were nothing like the way she appeared when we were together or at least appeared to me. Now she is what she wrote in the journal. I guess you can only pretend to be somebody you are not for so long.
It does take a while to detach emotionally. Took me several years. Now ex doesn't phase me at all. I see her rarely but we have kids together and I also have stepsons ( kids from her first marriage) so there are times.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest