Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 06:02:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New here, Struggling mom-how do you get your kids involved in their treatment  (Read 478 times)
Marathon5
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: April 20, 2018, 08:46:22 AM »

I am struggling with my 14 year old only 3 weeks after being in a rehab facility for 75 days for self harm , eating disorder and depression. It is so hard to get her to want to do diary cards, journal, exercise and mindfulness. Her therapist told
Me that I was working really hard and she was not. How did you get your kids to get involved in their treatment ? Or to understand the benefits of all the therapies out there?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
bluek9

we are full of color

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 11:15:15 AM »

WELCOME MARATHON5,

Welcome to this place. Sounds like you have been through the wringer. So sorry for that. 75 days in rehab is long time. It goes to show how much you love your child by getting her help. My BPDD had just an awful teenage hood. Now she is 35 and we live with a whole new set of challenges. When she was younger we didn't a diagnosis so I really didn't know how to help her. She was hospitalized 4 times, went through counselor after counselor all to no avail. Now she goes to her therapy, takes her meds. And yes like you I have done all the work. It wasn't until I found this place that I realized the more I change the more receptive she is to me. She will never change.
        There is hope Marathon5, keep up what you're doing. Keep posting it is a tremendous help to be here and get supported, get ideas and feed back from other parents who really know what you're going through.

H:healing, O:options, PE:positive encouragement
Merlot

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 01:23:11 AM »

Hi Marathon5

Welcome to the BPD family

Your daughter is so young and this must be so difficult for you, not only is she unwell but it sounds like she is also not helping herself to move forward.

Personally, I don't have experience with inpatient treatment however there are many parents here like Bluek9 who will know exactly what you are going through and able to provide some guidance.

Her therapist told Me that I was working really hard and she was not.

I think as parents we want to step in and make things better for our children, that's just so natural for us.  Letting go of fixing and allowing your daughter to take some ownership and responsibility for her part in getting better will be a real challenge for you.  It was and still is a real challenge for me. 

Have you been able to avail yourself to some of the reading on the board to the right Bullet: important point (click to insert in post) ?  Also it's great that your daughter is in therapy, it sounds like it is providing real insights for you too.

Take care and please keep sharing here as we are alongside you.

Merlot

Bright Day Mom

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 10:45:09 AM »

Hi Marathon5

My  daughter was also 14 when our world changed forever that was 4 years ago.  The good part is YOU are still in charge of her treatment until she turns 18.  We did it all, multiple IOP, PHPs, residential stay, you name it we got it covered.

Think back to when you were 14, would you want to journal, diary, mindfulness exercises; I know I honestly wouldn't.  This is  why we needed to think outside of the box with my daughter.  She got back into some of HER interests, began painting again, picked up intricate coloring, and got back into nature with her camera.  Hiking is a terrific example and we'd do it together with our dogs.  Aromatherapy is also being embraced, she loves the way it makes her room smell

Its important to have a discussion with her about her treatment. Maybe she doesn't get along well with the therapist? I know we went thru a number of them until we found 1 SHE liked.  Explain its important to participate and work thru the goings on in her life.  Art therapy?  Girls group?  there are options, just need some feedback to find the right match.

Instead of formally writing down in a journal, we talk during dinner about our day, what was pretty cool and what pissed us off, how it made us feel,etc.  Before bed, I ask her 1 thing she's grateful for.  Initially, she wouldn't take it serious, but then i'd answer and she'd eventually name something Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  Now its automatic!

As part of my D's discharge from residential, we needed to schedule something together.  We started Zumba class and attend class together each week. You may want to try finding something the 2 of you can do together, maybe volunteer in a soup kitchen - this gives them a sense of purpose, something they can be proud of. We trained our dog and she became a Certified Therapy Dog Handler; we visit a nursing home weekly.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest