Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 05, 2024, 12:35:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: detaching very very gradually  (Read 419 times)
LL

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: May 26, 2018, 10:59:01 PM »

Hello Everyone.

I'm checking in. It is really good to have this place to work through some things.

I've been up and down since I left my ex. Sometimes I feel awful, other times I feel strong and empowered. I recognize the process. My DV advocate tells me that I am exactly where I should be, and that the ups and downs are normal.

Today I had a visit with my dog. I met him at his home to pick her up. He was polite. He was also injured, walking with a cane with a boot on his foot. I didn't ask him about it when I picked her up. When I dropped her off, we had a laugh about the overabundance of dog food that we both purchased. It was the first time we have laughed together since I left 5 months ago. I was worried about his leg. It was hard to see him injured. I asked him about it, he said "oh this and that, multiple things wrong with it" There are times that I feel nothing but compassion for him. He is suffering and struggling so much. He was very guarded though, I don't know how to explain it, he is angry with me, probably for reaching out for help for him when I first left. I did talk about some of the abusive behavior, and drug abuse, all in an attempt to find him some help. I couldn't help him when we were together, and I couldn't just leave and watch him die without trying to find him some support. But also, abusive behavior is not ok. I left my home with nothing and I've struggled since then to rebuild my life. It has been very hard, and the abusive behavior has affected my mental health quite a lot. When I reached out I made sure that people knew that he needed love, support, and help, not shaming. I don't know what kind of help he is getting, but I do know that he has not acknowledged his abusive behavior to me. He is a stone wall.

I did have a short cry when I got in my car. It wasn't too bad. I feel sad for the loss of the person that I loved, but I also in the same moment know that he needs help. It was different seeing him this time. It was sad, but not heartbreaking in the way it has been. I guess it is a step in the right direction. I miss my best friend though.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 11:55:39 PM »

Quote from: LL
. I couldn't help him when we were together, and I couldn't just leave and watch him die without trying to find him some support. But also, abusive behavior is not ok.

That isn't anyone's role, and abusive behavior is never ok,  but your compassion for him is admirable now that you are safe. 

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 10:36:40 PM »

Hi LL,

Thanks for sharing that with us. I think that many of us can relate with your post bittersweet comes to mind. We get conflicted feelings on the one hand we have memories o future the person that we first met then have the experiences with Mr Hyde. I’m with Turk your compassion is admirable. Take very good care of yourself.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest