Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 05:35:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Female friend broke off our friendship  (Read 628 times)
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2018, 12:26:06 PM »

really really made me feel that there is something wrong with me and why i cant keep relationships whether friends or lovers.

CryWolf,

im here to tell you, it is highly unlikely that there is something fundamental about you, some broken thing, some "wrong" thing with you that makes you unloveable, undesirable, or causes people to cut you off. i remember having similar thoughts for a lot of my life. simultaneously, i thought "if im so great, why does everyone reject me".

these beliefs may be poor self image and low self esteem talking.

so, asking "whats wrong with me" isnt really going to get you anywhere other than pursuing people in hopes they will accept and validate you, and then, if faced with rejection by them, feeling the double whammy of believing youre a fundamentally rejectable person, almost like theres a target on your head. youre not. there isnt.

but that doesnt mean there arent some things to learn, some skills to develop, some new ways of thinking and interacting with people. not to be a different person. on the contrary, to get in touch with who CryWolf really, truly, authentically is. when low self esteem and insecurity rule our lives, we really arent living as that person, we tend to navigate through life with a whole host of dysfunctional coping mechanisms to try to avoid them, and only end up reinforcing them.

a member used this analogy once: if you were learning to play golf, and you took lessons, and your instructor told you that you needed to work on your grip and your backswing, you probably wouldnt respond "im a failure, im a bad/flawed person, and i will never be any good", right? it would just stand to reason that you needed to learn and practice the game. but with low self esteem and poor self image, insecurities, abandonment fears/wounds, one tends to believe deep down that no matter what they do, it will never be enough. its flawed, counterproductive thinking. you can improve your grip and your backswing, and be the player you were meant to be.

i liken it to "bad manners". i can meet a person, we can like each other a lot and hit it off. then lets say they invite me to dinner, and i come over, and i slurp a lot. i talk with food in my mouth. i eat with my hands. they might not have me over for dinner again, right? but thats not because im some bad, deeply flawed, unloveable person. i just have some bad manners to unlearn.

i was a really obsessive guy as a teenager. if a girl paid me the slightest bit of attention, id ruminate about her for 24 hours a day, and invent a relationship with her in my head. you should see my journals from the time, its insane. i cringe thinking about my interactions with girls back then even 15 years later. inevitably, i would waaaay over pursue, and then not understand why i was rejected. its not because deep down i was unloveable or not good enough. i just had some "bad manners" to unlearn. im still fundamentally the same guy, with the same heart, and i can still be fairly obsessive and prone to worry. i just have "better manners", and a bit different worldview.

people like CryWolf. chicks dig CryWolf. its all within your power. youll get there.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
SerendipityChild

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »

Just from a female point of view (and I'm not super girly emotional female mind you... .) ;-) but it sounds like she did have feelings for you, but has a boyfriend and felt both guilt (about her bf, and the fact that she's attracted to you) and also sadness/rejection, because she likes you, but it wasn't happening, and you did not seem to be "taking the bait". I think it's that simple. Yes, she's likely very emotionally immature, sure, but I also think she's upset because she feels hurt/guilty/rejected so she can't handle "just" being your friend. It's too painful, so she avoids you.

It may blow over in time. She may not be totally happy with her BF, and is looking for an emotional crutch. If she doesn't find it with you, she may find it elsewhere, and end up relaxing around you and being able to be your friend again. Just tread cautiously, and try not to get in too deep with the drama that this friend group seems to have. It sounds like from what you describe that the boyfriend is controlling and jealous, the female friend is emotionally insecure, and through school ties, your BPDex is still a bit in the mix.

You might benefit from distancing yourself a bit from all of them and joining a new club, or finding some friends on campus that are far removed from that crowd? Maybe get a breather from emotionally needy people for a while. I had to do this with my ex. We are older than you and your friends, but everyone around him got sucked into his drama about our break-up. I had to cut ties with all of them, or he'd keep up the triangulation.   

I agree with BasementDweller. Sounds like a bit problematic already. She has a boyfriend and seems to want you for herself anyway. Maybe she's conflicted and testing to see how you'd feel about being the "other man"? You are young and just recovered from a toxic relationship. Unless you find being in a forbidden relationship appealing.
Insom

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2018, 08:03:25 AM »

Hey, CryWolfWelcome new member (click to insert in post)  It's been a few days since your last post.  How are you feeling today?

CryWolf

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2018, 10:34:13 AM »

Hey all, sorry I haven’t been able to reply. School is literally taking all my time, and I’m starting to hang out with some people outside of school as well. And finally starting to have a social life. I have to fit people in a schedule now .

As for this friend and the classmate that said what she said. I saw them Friday night at my second job, a retail clothing store. They both walked in the fitting room and they said hi and I said hey and the girl that didn’t want to be friends anymore needed a room. I pointed at a room for her and walked away. Later I went to the register and there they were. She was using a discount card I gave her when we were still friends and the new employee needed help entering the information in. So awkward lmao.

I ended up giving the discount and said in my mind “kill her with kindness” and gave another discount. Then I walked away, and she came up to me and smiled and said thank you. I said “yup” and called out “next customer”

Dont have time for her indecisiveness to have me in her life or not. So I blocked her. Haven’t looked back.

I saw her on campus yesterday, walked by and didn’t say hi. I had the classmate in class yesterday and I talk to her but only if it pertains to the class.

I’m making boundaries for myself and having some pride.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest