Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 03:21:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: psychedelic therapy and bettering your mind  (Read 622 times)
greenyard

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 06, 2018, 01:24:03 PM »

I just finished reading the book "How to Change Your Mind" by the famous author Michael Pollan (you may recall his other great books "Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food" and it really got me thinking about using psychedelics to change the mind of my pwBPD (soon to be ex wife). Apparently back in the 50's and 60's, there was a huge effort into research in the use medicinal and therapeutic use of Psychedelics but got shut down due to controversy and fears of the time. But today, there is a new resurgence of research throughout the world and here in the US at John's Hopkins on use of psychedelics. Many experts have said that a single intense session of psychedelics is like going through years of talk therapy - and I can see why.

Many years ago, probably 15 years ago, I've personally tried on several occasions mushrooms and LSD for recreational use. Each time they were relatively small doses but I can't be sure as to exactly how many micro grams. Anyway, the LSD experience left me feeling very joyful and connected to the greater world and I learned to appreciate and value even more the relationships I had.

All that said, has anyone with BPD or knows anyone with BPD have experience or improvement for the pwBPD when undergoing guided therapeutic use of psychedelics such as mushrooms (psilocybin) or LSD, or DMT? If so, can you please share your knowledge?

I've been separated from my soon to be ex wife since March (so 5 months apart) and I have not communicated with her at all except via lawyers. We are on the path to divorce currently and have been negotiating a settlement. But I do miss her soo much. I miss her and doing things with her. The past few weeks it's been very difficult and her presence has been invading my sleep almost every night. So I've been considering "alternative" paths or possible miracles to possibly heal this relationship that has been destructive in the past (long story but I've posted about it here in the past). I should note, that before we separated my pwBPD suggested psychedelic therapy to improve our relationship. But we never got there due to all the violence and rage and I just needed a break so I could focus on my job. Anyway, thanks for reading this and I super appreciate any feedback on this.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 03:29:25 PM »

I honestly can't tell you anything about psychotropic effects on BPD.  I know that BPD is an emotional disorder, and so it's influenced by the brain's chemicals, but not really "caused" by it.  I think it's more of an unhealthy, early-life stage series of learned behaviors and poor coping skills, rather than say chronic depression which can be treated by tinkering with serotonin levels.

BPD is best treated with something called DBT - Dialectical Behavior Therapy, not any kind of drug, legal or not, Rx or not.  Some of the comorbid things like anxiety and depression can be treated, but the underlying unhealthy emotional responses system is the core problem.  You can put oil into a leaky car and keep it running, but overall, you're treating a symptom, not the main issue. 

The person needs to learn new strategies for processing painful or uncomfortable emotions.  Usually, they have learned to externalize them, to push them off, project them onto others.  There is a need to avoid blame, shame, and responsibility.  And to meet these needs, all manner of blameshifting, revisionist history and painting black of people will be sued to remain at no fault in their minds.

Sometimes, as we the "non"s modify our actions and reactions to the BPD behavior, we can drag them up out of the morass of the disorder.  It's a slow process, and has a lot of 2 steps forward, one step back moments.  And in your case, No Contact while divorcing, I am not sure how you'd address it.

I hope maybe you can re-open communication and maybe see if things can improve engaging in some modifications to your actions and reactions based on the tools here.  I've never tried it, but I know LSD does not guarantee a "good trip".  You might very well trigger something worse trying it? 

Learning2Thrive

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 10:34:55 PM »

Hi greenyard 

Welcome. You stated that you have been separated and NC with your wife for approximately 5 months, communicating only through your lawyers while you negotiate a divorce settlement. You also stated that you are missing your wife.

Have you changed your mind about divorcing?

Excerpt
Apparently back in the 50's and 60's, there was a huge effort into research in the use medicinal and therapeutic use of Psychedelics but got shut down due to controversy and fears of the time. But today, there is a new resurgence of research throughout the world and here in the US at John's Hopkins on use of psychedelics. Many experts have said that a single intense session of psychedelics is like going through years of talk therapy - and I can see why.

So, are you looking to get her involved in a research study at Johns Hopkins?

Excerpt
... .before we separated my pwBPD suggested psychedelic therapy to improve our relationship. But we never got there due to all the violence and rage and I just needed a break so I could focus on my job.

Was your wife suggesting a scientific/research based therapy through professionals in Behavioral Health? Or something else?

Violence and rage are serious issues and a dangerous combination. Safety should always be the primary concern.

I’m looking forward to learning more about your situation and how we may help you moving forward.

L2T
greenyard

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 10:17:53 AM »

Thanks for the responses.

I want to be super clear here, I'm not some hippie out there looking to have a silly time or escape reality - I'm looking for real objective answers and solutions to real problems. I'm a professional Mechanical Engineer and scientist and make decisions based on facts and data, and I'm not shy to think outside the box (or think outside what society deems legal/illegal as often times those boxes were created out of fears of the unknown or based on prejudices and poor data).

I have not changed my mind about divorce. I am on the fence right now. I have tried dating other women, but they are just boring and I don't click. So I'm reconsidering possible options, even if they are far outside the normal box.

I am potentially looking to get her involved in a research study at Johns Hopkins, but possibly may seek underground guided therapy (I know these exist), often lead by mental health professionals.

Understood that violence and rage are concerns, and safety is #1.

Here is a news release from Johns Hopkins on a 2016 study regarding depression and anxiety for terminally ill patients and how psilocybin helped them overcome that anxiety: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/hallucinogenic_drug_psilocybin_eases_existential_anxiety_in_people_with_life_threatening_cancer_

I know that there is new research, phase 3, supported by the FDA but I'm short on time and can't find the references (but will later tonight). The new phase 3 study expands upon existential anxiety treatment noted above to general depression and anxiety, and this is brand new, starting in 2017.

There are also other studies from Europe (Dr. Robin Carhart-Harris at Human Neuroscience at Frontiers College, London) suggesting that experiences with psychedelics temporarily increases the mental entropy allowing for plasticity of the nephropathy.

Again, any information or real experience anyone has, please share.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest