Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 03:51:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The narcissistic family that created her, recycling  (Read 387 times)
naguma

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: November 06, 2018, 05:35:36 AM »

Her family which treated me badly, seems to be trying to recycle me. They all propagated the smear campaign and now want to act like we are old friends and her grandma recently called me her grandson.
Is this normal? How does one avoid conflict while losing their interest?
The problem being my status and pay has grown tremendously since my ex and I broke up. I deliver food on the side for extra cash, maybe I should tell them that since it would be bellow them.
She has threatened suicide multiple times while we were together. It would be best to leave her not triggered while bowing out. Her family seems to be the main pull in her life.
There is a protection order from her which is close to expiring. I do not fear for myself, but for her. She will take their rejection as a reason to attempt suicide again.
There is no future between us. I've contemplated saying that I am too hurt for us to ever have a relationship. Would this answer be enough for her family to feel superior?
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 11:38:27 AM »

Her family which treated me badly, seems to be trying to recycle me.

have they reached out to you? what have they said/done? tell us more about whats going on.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
MeandThee29

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 04:39:53 PM »

Families can be tough. It's very common for the pwBPD to use their family to reinforce their position without considering your viewpoint and/or even consulting you. That happened to me, and I backed off. They don't see the BPD and consider me to be the "wayward" one.

Nearly every counselling appointment I've had has stressed that they are NOT there to analyze him when he is not present. They are there to work on me. Thankfully my side of the family took the same stand. They don't go where they don't belong.

If they can just enjoy their relationship with you without blaming you or digging into areas that are not theirs to dig into, it might work. But be wary.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 12:23:41 AM »

What emotional pull is there for you that her family had switched gears like this? I'm asking because you haven't indicated that you've told them to go pound sand and that you're done. 

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
MeandThee29

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 08:25:59 AM »

I just remembered something else.

My therapist once commented that how a family responds to these situations is of course often a marker for some of the reasons the person developed BPD.

If there's a breakup, and they try to be fair and helpful, that's a sign of a more balanced family. If they become controlling and dig into the details, you know that the family has issues. In her experience, it is exceptionally rare for the family of someone with a personality disorder to not cross boundaries and to try to take control.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest