Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 11:43:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What helps you stay centered during the holidays?  (Read 377 times)
Harri
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: November 09, 2018, 07:06:02 PM »

Hi.  It is that time of year when a lot of people, especially those of us with more difficult FOO relationships, really struggle. 

I know it is still a bit early but I also know it is easy to put things off until last minute.  So my thoughts are to come up with some strategies to help us cope so we don't get thrown off with the holidays.  Whether you get together with family, or like me, usually spend them alone, what can you do?

What I used to do when my parents were still alive and I attended gatherings, I would brush up on my understanding of projection and use visualization and self talk to get me through. 

So I would say things like "remember, when she says berates you, she is really talking about herself" and other things that may sound trite but really helped me like "you've got this" rather than "i can't do this" or "I'm so nervous".  Yes, talking to myself helped me immensely.    What really made the difference was what I said to myself.  So focusing on fact (what I knew about projection) and that I had new skills and had some healing under my belt this time around made a big difference.

Okay so lets see what else we can all come up with and share.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Star0009

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 07:47:32 PM »

I'm trying to get into jogging everyday and when I move and its cooler out long random walks alone at night in nice neighborhoods with decorations help. Now I have a dog so I plan on walking different places with her lots. I think I'm skipping any large family events but in the past I would just go out for a long walk or treat myself to an extra book and coffee. Books kinda make me feel safe, maybe because they pull me into my own world.
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 07:55:51 PM »

Exercise is a great way to stay in a good mindset.  Endorphins and all that (not that I would know... .jogging is against my body type!).  Do you feel better after jogging?  Does it clear your mind?

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest