Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 06, 2024, 04:15:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boundaries and Values, I am still confused and I imagine others are too.  (Read 362 times)
Bnonymous

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: December 03, 2018, 05:59:07 AM »

I see there are lots of discussions about boundaries and the excellent article below helps to clarify the board's understanding of the term and ethos surrounding it.

https://bpdfamily.com/content/setting-boundaries

But I am still confused and I imagine others are too. One problem is that the term "values" is as vague and muddled as "boundaries" itself. Some people use the term as a synonym for "principles". Some people use the term as meaning "things that have value to me". Most people use it to mean first one thing and then the other, falling into the fallacy of equivocation and thus muddling their thinking further.

Another understanding of "boundaries" is the quite literal one of differentiation between persons - in this sense, a boundary is a line that marks that the separateness of Self and Other, that prevents one person from invading the individuality of another and serves to prevent enmeshment and engulfment.

I think the most useful understanding of "boundaries" is in terms of limits.

Our limits might:

1. Reflect our values-as-principles ("I will not have more than two alcoholic drinks because I believe that drunkenness is morally wrong") OR

2. Reflect our values-as-things-we-value ("I will not have more than two drinks because keeping a clear head is important to me"). OR

3. Represent how much we can withstand ("I will not have more than two drinks because I get sick and clumsy and light-headed when I do"). OR

4. Serve to delineate the individuation of self and other ("It is not my partner's place to tell me how many drinks to have - just because they choose to stick to two drinks doesn't mean I have to").

All of these things are boundaries and all of them are important, but there doesn't seem to be any one way of capturing them all without mixing them up.

I think a problem is that the term "boundaries" is inherently ambiguous - it is an umbrella term for a number of actually quite different things ("limits" shares that inherent ambiguity).

However, I do fear that the emphasis on "values" risks causing confusion of a different sort - if members take this to mean values-as-principles then they risk blurring boundaries in the line-between-self-and-other sense by thinking that they should require their pwBPD to act in ways that are consisent with their (the member's) principles instead of their (the pwBPD's) own.

I have briefly fallen into all of the above traps myself and I'm a Philosophy grad, so, for people with little experience of deconstructing and disambiguating, it must be even more confusing.

Regardless of the terms used, I think the most important thing is to remember and  emphasise is that our boundaries are about us and not our pwBPD.

"You remind me of someone who is looking through a closed window and cannot explain to himself the strange movements of a passer-by. He doesn’t know what kind of a storm is raging outside and that this person is perhaps only with great effort keeping himself on his feet." - Ludwig Wittgenstein
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest