Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 09:05:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some progress followed by major dysregulation  (Read 456 times)

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Unknown at this point

« on: April 07, 2019, 07:59:58 AM »

Hello,

I fear I am about to be dragged through the wringer again. At the beginning of this year my partner ended up in a mental health ward after another suicide effort. To cut to the chase, I went quite insane with worry and eventually she was released, medicated and back with me.

Immediately we began a process of getting some much needed therapy in place. We went to a DBT information evening which my partner was receptive to. We had a few pleasant weeks then she stopped the medication and became unhinged, drank alcohol and ended up in hospital again. There have been two incidents apart from the one in January which saw her spending ten days in the unit. About three weeks ago she disappeared again and I found her the next day in hospital. The police had taken her there because she was laying down in the road again. I spoke to a psychiatrist there and he told me she needed to address the drinking or it would be her undoing.

On friday it was my autistic Son's 18th Birthday. He was very excited about it and wanted me to take him to the beach and to a legal street art wall so he could do some spray painting (I am sure I have the terminology wrong here ). We were gone four hours. When I returned my partner was sitting on the bed in a very dark mood. I mean, we are talking Full Metal Jacket here, when Pyle shoots the drill instructor. I ask how she is feeling and she begins the sarcasm. This escalates rapidly and it is obvious she has been raking through my emails. I find this an intrusion but to be honest, there is nothing in my mind which I have there to be ashamed of or to hide. Try telling her this though.

So from this point on, it all goes to  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post). She is screaming abuse at me. I am trying to remain calm. My Son starts yelling at her from his bedroom to leave Dad alone. She yells back, calling him "Fat Boy" and a spastic. He yells back, she continues and he bursts into the bedroom waving his fists. At this point I start yelling for him to calm down. I get him out the room and try to divert. I plead with my partner to get into the car and drive somewhere remote with me so we can discuss what is going on. Judging by the smell of her breath, she is quite drunk.

We are leaving the front door and she starts yelling at my Son again. My eldest Son (27) has arrived home and he starts having stern words with my partner. As we quickly leave down the front steps, my youngest Son leans over the railing and spray paints my partners head!  As you can imagine, things just get worse from this point. The fight has moved into the street. I have my partner running down the road screaming, my eldest Son holding his brother back, and me getting into the car to follow my partner. After much screaming I managed to get her into the car and I drove to a beach. It was about 10pm at this point.

After looking at the stars for an hour, we drove back to town, grabbed the camping gear and went to a campsite in the forest. The next day we woke up and I tried to look at the options with her. I agreed that this just wasn't working with my kids and her and suggested that we find a place for us away from this house. As we would need time to put this in place, I told her we may have to go back to the house Saturday night and get a plan sorted. I spoke to my kids and told them that no matter what goes on, this physical abuse must not happen again.

Last night was relatively calm. We watched some garbage on Youtube and fell asleep. This morning she was not talking to me much. Then she disappeared when I was washing some clothes. Her sister rang and I told her what was going on. I actually had a reasonable discussion with her and arranged for her to have my partner up there for a while... if she showed up. Well, she did. She rang her sister back and I ended up driving her the 200km each way to her sister's place. The journey was a nightmare. She tried to do a runner on me in the middle of nowhere at a truck stop. Then she tried to bail out the car on the highway. She yelled at me 2" from my ear the entire trip, punctuated with moments of silence. When we got to her destination, she slammed the car door shut and told me to  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) off and not to contact her ever again.

10.49pm here now. No dramas. I haven't emailed her and I don't think I will. In January when she was in this state, I had no idea where she was. I felt myself going insane with worry. The anxiety was too much! This time I know where she is. I need some respite. When I spoke to her sister today I told her that things will probably turn to  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post), and when they do, please urge her to get to the mental health unit. This time I hope it will be for a long stay. She needs a rehab in my opinion, for at least a year. I am sure this is not the last of this.

Thanks for listening. Advice appreciated.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

SunandMoon

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 08:50:31 AM »

That sounds like absolute mayhem, 2020! Good work staying relatively calm through it all.

She's at her sister's now so it's a good time to take some space and let everything calm down. There's nothing wrong with taking a few days or a week to process it all.

What do you want to happen? Do you want to stay together?

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 09:17:46 AM »

Thanks for the reply SunandMoon.

I am so worn out by the ten years of this. A big part of me says I do want to have a relationship with her. For whatever reason, I feel love for her despite the fact she was pretty awful to me today. I swear the car behind us in the traffic jam was filming her screaming at me! Now I sound like the one with paranoia.

I am keeping sane by telling myself that she is very unwell right now. I think you are right about taking some space and letting everything calm down. I don't expect an apology or a nice email. She is likely to stew on this for quite some time. It is so difficult being in these relationships! A week ago she was all over me... picnics, sex, movies, cooking together. Today I am a misogynist and a perpetrator of domestic violence. She is furious at me.

I have seen this cycle so many times. I hope I can do something different this time. I wish to hell my Son had not done what he did. It has made this infinitely worse. He won't say sorry and because he is my son, she will do her best to make sure I suffer and pay for this. Realistically all I can do is keep my distance. I don't think emailing her will help tonight.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 09:38:01 PM »

That didn't take long. I got an email from her: "Sorry for being rude and horrible to you." Just a one-liner. This is one of a very few apologies I have ever had. Usually I am waiting weeks; this took less than 24 hours. Maybe I should be making a post in the success thread?

I am not going to reply straight away. I will be careful what I say. I must not validate her abuse nor say sorry to her, for her. Part of me wants to punish her. I want her to wonder where I am, whether I am alive or dead. I need to try and see this for what it is, whatever it is. Something has shifted in me and I am wondering if I want her in my life anymore. It is almost like I don't care as much as I did three months ago.

I have to replace the door handle on my car. After I do that, I may reply with a short thank you.
They might treat us like  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) but do we need to stoop to their level?
loyalwife

Relationship status: married

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 10:27:39 PM »

No, we needn't stoop to their level, ever. It sounds as though she has said mean and nasty things to your son (son's) before. It's difficult for someone that is autistic to get it. My son has Aspergers, and when he lived with my pwBPD husband, it was horrible. My husband always hit below the belt, and because my son doesn't harbor resentments etc., it was always lopsided. Eventually my son moved out, and that was supposed to have been the answer, but it wasn't. I say all of this because, she attacked someone that shouldn't have been attacked, and you son should not have had to defend himself from a crazy person. As harsh as that sounds, I am saying that to myself as well as you.
     The alcoholism must be addressed first.
      Her fear of abandonment is showing up, and that is why she is contacting you. It's all mixed up in emotion etc.  You are wise to keep your distance and let her have space. The emails can be short and to the point without going into "I miss you, etc." When the BPD comes down from the tree, so to speak, they expect everyone to just open up their arms and accept them. But every episode does change things and eventually the things that hurt the most, stops. It stops because we cease to let them hurt us.
      I hope you 18 year old son is okay. Has he said anything about her? He reacted to her abuse, and rightly so. But he needs to be kept safe from her.

***Kind regards***
*****always*****
        Loyalwife

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 11:06:29 PM »

Thank you for your reply loyalwife. You words are very wise. When I returned yesterday he ran out into the kitchen and wispered in my ear, "Is she here"? I said she wasn't and he said "Phew". In all fairness, she should probably issue him with an apology first, but fairness isn't always possible when dealing with someone who blames everyone else.

What you have said about your son has made me think somewhat. At this point I cannot move out with my partner. The best thing for everyone (including herself) is that she moves into her own place. I will go and stay over when the 'weather' is fine, but I need to be able to retreat if she doesn't want me around.

I have just put the birthday cake into the oven, three days later. My email will be "Thank you. Hope you are having a better day today".
loyalwife

Relationship status: married

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 11:13:11 PM »

Great response.
 Having the ability to withdraw if things get chaotic is wise, for you and for your family.
  Enjoy the cake!

***Kind regards***
*****always*****
        Loyalwife
SunandMoon

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 08:43:01 AM »

Good response, 2020 

loyalwife has some wise words for you and there's no need to rush into anything right away.

Three major points stand out to me in your first post: the fact that she has stopped taking her medication, the drinking, and the attack on your son. That sort of contempt is dangerous.

Take some space for yourself now and consider your next steps with those three points in mind...

She has been hospitalised several times now, is that right? Does she have a psychologist, or is she doing any therapy?
Red5

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 10:48:08 AM »

No, we needn't stoop to their level, ever.

It sounds as though she has said mean and nasty things to your son (son's) before.

It's difficult for someone that is autistic to get it.

...she attacked someone that shouldn't have been attacked, and you son should not have had to defend himself from a crazy person.

I hope you 18 year old son is okay... he reacted to her abuse, and rightly so. But he needs to be kept safe from her.

Wise words, tough stuff to have to deal with… I can certainly relate.

Red5

“We are so used to our own history, we do not see it as remarkable or out of the ordinary, whereas others might see it as horrendous. Further, we tend to minimize that which we feel shameful about.” {Quote} Patrick J. Carnes / author,
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest