Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 06:11:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recognizing elaborate precautions you take because of fear  (Read 350 times)
snowwhite

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: May 03, 2019, 06:12:09 PM »

A conversation with a friend whose fiance was married to a woman with BPD caused me to  recognize some obsessive behaviors in myself. My friend and her fiance are Roman Catholic and will need to apply for an annulment in order to marry in their Church. He is terrified of contacting his ex-wife. Their children reached majority this year and other than this, he will never need to contact her again. An incident within their Church has sent him reeling, but I feel it is actually just a side issue. He has bought a gun and some bullets to protect them.
I am Mormon by religious faith and for over two decades following my divorce could not obtain what is called a temple sealing cancellation, basically a church authorized divorce. My fearful responses were elaborate emergency preparations and leaving home every year at the same time as my ex-husband's suicide gesture, afraid he might visit me to repeat it.
I realize now that both of us have responded to threats that simply are no longer real. But both of us were trapped by people who literally might do anything and were unable to reclaim meaningful lives because of our religious commitments and the fear of what response we might provoke by taking action or inaction.
This is not meant as an attack on our religions. My church has changed their policy. He and my friends love their ties to the Catholic faith.
But have you found yourself doing things that are obsessive, such as taking elaborate precautions to protect yourself, not attending functions, locking yourself in your house. What steps did you take to overcome your fear and reclaim your freedom and live your life?
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 11:29:13 PM »

Hi snowwhite,

Those sound like extreme reactions to unresolved trauma. I can relate, though I haven't done anything that elaborate. I do have a tendency to self-isolate. I have a lot of anxiety when it comes to social settings, or even something like going to church- which is hard for me, because I do want to go to church and find a consistent church family, but I tend to put off going because I just don't feel like engaging with people.

Some other things I have noticed are looking in the back of the car when I get in it to drive home after work, and also for some reason I don't like to sit in a room where there are lots of windows. I have a perfectly good living room, but I prefer to sit in the dining room away from the windows. I feel safer there. Not really sure why, but it doesn't have to make sense I guess.

Therapy has helped me a lot with the hypervigilance, though I haven't completely gotten rid of it. I just started doing emdr therapy and found it to be extremely helpful in just a few sessions.

We are more than just our stories.
snowwhite

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 09:14:41 PM »

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your taking the time. I shall try EMDR.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest