Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 08:04:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Things Keep Holding You Back From Having Healthy Relationships  (Read 770 times)
zachira
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« on: May 06, 2019, 02:56:10 PM »

As a victim of neglect throughout my childhood, I find that I am way too independent and easily dismissive of close relationships. Through years of therapy, I have grown a great deal, yet my inner programming still defaults to spending most of my time alone, even though I am very much an extrovert. I have close friends and family members though I don't see them often. My friends and family members seek me out much more than I do them. What do you think are the things that hold you back from seeking out healthy intimate relationships, (including family, friends, and romantic relationships with caring people)?

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 10:24:26 PM »

My independence attracted my ex to me at first, then later triggered her as she viewed it as I didn't need her.  She wrote as much in her kind of suicide note she wrote on our computer Christmas of 2012.

For me, it's more logistical: I "fear" entering into a relationship where someone has power over me legally, even if not married. Growing up with a BPD mother,  I hated being a kid under her legal power,  and relished and embraced being a free adult. Maybe I've taken that too far,  to my detriment.   

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Educated_Guess

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 05:34:52 PM »

I think I was trained from birth to think that dysfunctional relationships were the norm.  Such is the consequence of being born into a family of broken people.  I learned how to modify my own behavior and ignore my own feelings in order to try to fit into those relationships.

To be in a healthy relationship requires a lot of self-work.  Some of it is learning that what I thought was normal behavior is not, in fact, normal.  Most of it is learning and understanding who I am after blocking my own feelings for so long.  I have to know who I am before I can stand in relation to another as my whole self.  I'm still working on that.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 12:56:59 AM »

fear of rejection.

there are specific aspects of my life i dont feel i have together enough to pursue dating (a significant factor), but in terms of opening myself up to relationships with family, friends, romance, caring people, its that.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Sandb2015

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living apart, kicked out on 12/19 after meeting 3/19/2015

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 09:43:36 AM »

Many fears...

Being unloved, unaccepted, fear of emotional intimacy (until now).

Unloving home as a child and problem sister. I had to be the good child, no emotional resources in case I wasn't.  Mostly just alone without attention or love.  "No need to worry about him, he's such a good kid", no I wasn't, I was bullied at school and home.

I have an issue with who I am really and how I want to be seen for the purpose of acceptance. 

Knowing everything that's happened in my rs, my desire to finally be emotionally intimate was exposed.  It caused a sickness do to her sickness, but in time I know it felt good to be exposed and some day in a healthy loving rs, it will be fulfilling.

Just because you think it, doesn't make it true.
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 01:04:59 PM »

How do we overcome the fear of rejection? How much of that fear of rejection is really about how our family members and past partners treated us? I am working on staying present and not letting the past intrude. I realize that in healthy romantic relationships the love is conditional that in certain situations the relationship needs to end. The only love that is not conditional is the love that most parents feel towards their children. I know a woman whose heart is still broken over the death of her mentally and physically disabled child who died many years ago, even though this child never even knew who she was. She cared for him for years, changed his diapers, was never ever able to have a conversation with him, and even a look of recognition in his eyes as to who she might be. I think we sometimes dream that a partner will love us in the ways that this woman loved her child.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 01:14:50 PM »

How do we overcome the fear of rejection?

by examining, and facing our fears, as well as nurturing positive self esteem.

if one approaches therapy to overcome the fear of rejection, a lot of the therapy is likely to involve deliberately putting yourself in circumstances where you are very likely going to face rejection...and then working through the feelings in a healthy way, so that ultimately, rejection starts to lose its sting.

our fears can rule our lives and even our personalities. sometimes thats more comfortable than overcoming them.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest