Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 28, 2024, 01:34:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Every time I make her go to counseling it ends within a few weeks  (Read 431 times)
Debianation
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: June 17, 2019, 04:43:58 AM »

Paragraph header  (click to insert in post)
Hello all,
  My daughter has BPD and it’s going to kill me, she doesn’t want help, every time I MAKE her go to counseling it ends within a few weeks and now she’s on drugs, we, on top of this , lost mom to a car accident 5 years ago so we/I are dealing with this all alone and it’s literally killing me to watch her ruin her life.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 10:27:33 AM by once removed, Reason: retitled pursuant to guideline 1.5 » Logged
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 05:55:37 AM »

Hello Debianation
Welcome to the group. I am glad you found us and sorry for what brings you here. I am sorry for the loss of your mother and for the sheer agony of having a child with BPD. My 25 year old son also has BPD and also uses and sells drugs. I get how frustrating it can be. Sometimes I also feel like I am "hitting bottom" but I have the support of this great group and now you do too. We can't change our loved ones. They are who they are and will only change when they are ready. What we CAN do is learn communication skills that work with bpd people and that often improves our relationships. What else are you comfortable sharing with us? How old is your daughter? Does she live with you? How can we help?
Love,
Faith
Debianation
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 06:55:00 AM »

She is 17. At home. Senior this coming semester.
I’ve tried getting her into treatment but she refused so I feel helpless at the hands of her disease
nevergupmom

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 07:12:20 AM »

Welcome Deb-
 You are in good company.  I've only been posting a week, ..this was/is a lonely journey because how can anyone understand the chaos,  but here people actually understand.  The important thing is to decide, "this will not kill me."  I will get the tools I need and become stronger and more peaceful.   I have a 29 year old son, that seems to have a 90 day window of getting treatment and progressing, then start using drugs and relapsing.    Even in his sober times,  the bpd makes it difficult for anyone to deal with him. 
Keep posting, tell us more.  Are there other siblings in the home?
Be strong,

NeverGiveup
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 09:29:50 AM »

I second the aptly named NeverGiveUp in saying just that. Never give up. Change is possible and things CAN get better. I hope you stick around.
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 09:36:24 AM »

Thank you for sharing , Debianation. Please know you are not alone.  I am sorry for your loss.  
Drugs and BPD do go hand in hand a lot of times. I too have a 25 year old son that has BPD and abuses drugs.  Here is a weblink  to this site that may help to get you started.  Take a look around:
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=331689.0

In the meantime always remember you are as important as your child. Your needs are equally as important.  Many of us parents find therapists for ourselves as well and that is something you may consider for yourself.  Some of us also go to 12 step programs such as CODA ( Co dependents Anonymous) or Al- alon .  We often get understandably so immersed in our child that we forget completely about ourselves. We also need assistance on making appropriate boundaries with our child as well and these resources can help with that as well.
Please share more about your story, you are in a safe place here.

Only Human

Relationship status: divorced since the 90's

Love is still the answer

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 08:51:31 PM »

Hello Debianation Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

I join the others in welcoming you here - you've found a great place on the internet for support and clinically responsible information about BPD. I'm so sorry you've had to find us but I'm really glad you did. It's really tough to watch someone we love make poor choices and decisions that are not healthy.

Excerpt
decide, "this will not kill me."

nevergiveupmom has given great advice here. We are all living proof that there is hope for a better life for ourselves. As Swimmy says:

Excerpt
always remember you are as important as your child. Your needs are equally as important.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your beloved mother, and that you have been struggling alone with this. Now that you've found us, I hope you feel comfort in knowing we've got your back. We support each other and learn together. Welcome to the Family

I look forward to hearing more from you and how we can best support you. Please share as much as you are comfortable sharing, you'll find many other parents here walking similar paths and it helps to talk about it.

~ OH

"It's our god forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved."
-Jason Mraz, I'm Yours
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest