Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 07:34:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Excessively Thanking Me  (Read 371 times)
starryeyed

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 18, 2019, 09:51:12 AM »

My BPD husband is in a "nice, I'm a changed man" mode.  When he is like this, he thanks me  excessively for odd things.  For example, last night he went to the store and when he got home he thanked me for allowing him to go to the store.  This happens all the time when he is being "nice"  Is he actually on a path to change or is this a form of manipulation?  It makes me think he feels like I'm controlling him. I'm just at a loss.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

MiseryMarriage#3

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 10:16:40 AM »

@starryeyed I go through this too.  It would be hard for anyone to say without knowing him personally, but mine does genuinely "try" to change.  The problem is that this is a brain/personality disorder, so it really takes the person having a keen self-awareness and desire to keep at it.  Just think about your own character flaws and how they come out when you are tired/run down/under pressure.  The same goes for the person with BPD.  They will react to pressures in life the way they are programmed and going against that urge to actually refrain is hard.  Having the "disorder" or mental illness (mom) in mind helps me to have empathy and say okay so they are not doing this to harm me.  It isn't even about me.  It's what they are feeling and going through. You really have to have tough skin to hack it with this kind of issue.  Personally, I try to enjoy and relish the good days, so I can put the bad days in perspective.  For me, the fact that my hBPD "tries" to manage his condition at all is what keeps me going. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest