Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 12:11:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to the group looking for support  (Read 404 times)
TJP

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: September 16, 2019, 09:06:43 AM »

Paragraph header  (click to insert in post) Hi everyone, I have just come to realize my mother has BPD. She is a senior and is currently very sick in the hospital. Now that she is on steroids for pneumonia, the abuse has been so painful, horrifying really, i feel battered. The woman I am seeing before my eyes is the same woman that beat me as a child and who also loved me throughout my life - I am so confused and angry and sad. I feel so much guilt (i was raised catholic and taught you take care of your parents) that I can't be with her while she is sick (and possibly dying), but I just can't tolerate the pain or abuse. If anyone has any experience with this or any suggestions for how I can protect myself, please chime in. It's important to note that I am her only family member and so I really don't have the option of just not being around her. I do have limited contact, but the onslaught of guilting and shaming messages throughout the day, even on days I don't see her, are almost debilitating. I am continuing to show up for my life, reaching out to friends, self care, etc. But I have so much anxiety because I don't know what's ahead and I don't have family to share the burden. Meanwhile I see a woman who is suffering, alone and scared and my heart breaks for her. Thanks for being here.

GaGrl
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 09:22:01 AM »

Welcome! Although the circumstances are not good, we are glad you found your way to us. Many members on the board have experienced similar situations with elderly BPD parents. We can offer you help and support.

Have you looked through some of the lessons on tools (top of page)? I have found that Boundaries and Validation were most helpful.

I watched my mother deal with her BPD/BPD stepmother after my grandfather's death. The only way she could handle it was by Limited Contact (LC). Otherwise, the guilt and obligation manipulations were too taxing on my mother's emotional health.

One resource you might be able to use, while your mother is in the hospital, is the social services assistance available.

Do you anticipate your mother will be released into a pulmonary rehab facility? Where would she live after that?

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 06:56:09 PM »

Hi.  I want to join GaGrl in welcoming you to the board.  You are not alone, we get it here so i am glad you are reaching out.  Several of us are dealing with a parent(s) with BPD traits or BPD who are older and in need of care.

GaGrl mentioned the tools listed at the top of this board and I think that is a great idea.  Like she said, boundaries and understanding validation, or more accurately how not to invalidate can go a long way in terms of helping you as you interact.  The advantage is that overtime, things can improve for you and tense situations tend not to escalate as much.

Taking steroids can certainly amplify or even induce angry behaviors as you know.  How long has she been on the meds?  I understand she was abusive when you were a child.  How were things before she got sick?  Were you able to have a tolerable relationship with her?  What sort of support system do you have for you (not in terms of dealing with your mom)?

I hope you share more and settle in and read.  We can definitely support you and maybe help you figure out ways to improve things for yourself.  Plus, so many of us are familiar with the guilt you speak about.  I had it with my mom too when she got sick.  Like I said, we get it here.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
TelHill
Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 08:12:36 PM »

Hi TJP,

I'm sorry your mom is so ill and sorry she treated you abusively as a kid.

My mom was diagnosed with bpd  5 yrs ago but has had it probably all her life. I was beaten and taunted/tormented/abused  as a kid. I hear you. It was awful. I was NC/LC after I became an adult.

I had a spate of family illnesses starting 2.5 yrs ago. My status w/ my elderly parents was barely involved to very involved. The last issue, at least for now is mom was in the hospital last year. She had year long recovery period where I was a pt helper with my dad. She's better now but they still need help at home.

I was doing well with LC/NC.  Changing contact levels threw off my equilibrium for a long time. I felt 10 years old again and helpless.  

I was in shock and not doing well since all the illnesses both parents suffered. Just recently, I returned to this site. I am reading the great info here on JADE, SET, setting boundaries, detaching, among other things. It's helping a lot.

Give yourself time. It's shocking to see a parent in hospitalized with a serious illness.  I literally had my life, including abuse memories, flash before my eyes a few times. I thought, am I about to die? Is this why my life is flashing before my eyes?  Some long periods of life consist of suffering and acceptance.

I was raised Catholic and am a practicing Catholic. I go to mass every day.  I saw the rosary a few times daily.    It helps to increase my resilience - makes the pain bearable. Am not evangelizing.    

Glad you are practicing self-care and self-soothing.  Contacting social svcs in the hospital is a great idea.

I was raised a Catholic and am still practicing.
Methuen

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 09:03:12 PM »

Hello TJP Welcome new member (click to insert in post)
  I am hearing you!  My mom is also elderly, I am also an only child, my mom is also BPD, and she also lives in the same town as me.  Furthermore, I just this summer came to understand what my mom's BPD truly means for me, and how I must learn to interact with her moving forward so that I can stop hurting, and look after myself, so that there is something left of me to actually help her when it's appropriate.
  I can hear your pain.  I can imagine and feel it with you.  My mom isn't in hospital yet, but I can see it just around the corner, so I can appreciate what you must be going through.  I always anticipate every worst case scenario with my mom, because that is what I learned to do to survive.  I am so sorry that you are going through this right now.  It is exactly what I anticipate is ahead for me with my mom.
  Here is what I have learned so far this summer from my reading, this website, and my counsellor.
  #1)  Self Care.  For me, this has meant time for myself to do whatever I want (read, be physically active, spend time with a friend, have a hot bath).  We can't help anyone if we ourselves are falling apart.  This is hopefully music to your ears, and when I heard it, I cried because someone was giving me PERMISSION to look after myself.
  #2)  Communication.  From my reading this summer, I have learned that there are specific tools and strategies to communicate with a BPD.  Rational conversations that we have with rational people don't work with BPD...with my mom it has made it worse, and sadly I didn't figure that out until I was 57.  But I get it now.  On this website you can find and learn about these tools.  SET is a good place to start.  My personal counsellor today reiterated this technique by suggesting that when my mom goes all Borderline on me, I reply by focussing on her FEELING...i.e. "it sounds like you are feeling ANGRY"...or..."it sounds like you are feeling SCARED".  Maybe someone with more experience on this board can provide the link to SET.  "I" statements are also helpful.
  #3) Set Boundaries.  When she becomes verbally abusive...you can say something like..."I see you are feeling angry right now.  What you are saying to me right now is hurting me and scaring me.  If you continue, I will have to leave so I can go look after myself.  I hope you can calm down so that I can stay with you."  If she continues to abuse you, follow up on what you said and say "excuse me mom, but I must leave now because I am feeling scared.  I will come back and see you when WE are ALL calm again (notice there is no blame on her here).  I love you."  Then leave, and go look after yourself, because that is what is the right thing to do Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
   I have been using these techniques for about 2 weeks now, and I can say these tools are helping both me and my mom.  My mom has also recently gone on an antidepressent called Mirtazapine which has made an unbelievable difference for the positive.  She has less negativity, less anxiety, and because she takes it at bedtime, she sleeps.  
  I have read " Stop Walking on Eggshells", and "The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook".  Both have helped me hugely.  My clinical counsellor today also suggested  "Loving Someone with Borderline Personality Disorder: How to Keep Out-of-Control Emotions from Destroying Your Relationship" by Shari Y. Manning.  I have just ordered it.  
    You are not alone.  I'm thinking of you.  I hope anything here helps.  Give yourself time.  N/C or L/C is OK when needed because it is not acceptable for her to abuse you.
 Remember to look after yourself first.   Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
TelHill
Ambassador

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 09:24:59 PM »

Ignore that last line. Can't edit it now.

I agree w/Methuen. Put yourself first.  It's your choice to remain at no contact (thinking good thoughts for her while leaving her care to others) or LC or fully involved.  The Catholic Church never condones putting up with abuse.

I should have said that in my original post. That's what I get for multi-tasking.

It was my choice to step up beyond LC. I may change my mind. It's extremely difficult to deal with an enabler & a person suffering with bpd.

Methuen

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 01:17:55 AM »

Hi TJP:

Here is the link to SET which I referred to in my last post.  Be sure to scroll down...I missed the "meaty" helpful stuff the first few times I looked in this section, because I didn't realize there was more to be read and learned, if I just scrolled down  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=143695.msg1399587#msg1399587
TJP

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 11:33:33 AM »

Thank you all for your amazing support! I am sending you love and my good thoughts. I will be diving into the "tools" today ! Love it! (click to insert in post)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest