Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 01:29:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just registered for a Family Connections intensive  (Read 888 times)
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Shaky

« on: September 17, 2019, 09:42:18 PM »

After being on a waiting list for several months I got an invitation to register for a two weekend Family Connections intensive. I have heard great things about this program. Who else has gone ? Did it help you?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 05:34:02 AM »

Faith, that's great news, I'm pleased you've heard from them! I've not personally done as I'm in the UK, but wanted to say yay and I look forward to hearing more.

WDx

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 05:58:26 AM »

Thanks Wendy
I will definitely report back to the group.
Resiliant

Relationship status: Married. With adult child relationship can be described as loving. Cloudy with sunny breaks. High wind warning. Risk of thunderstorms but much less severe than previous. Long term forecast shows promise of sunnier days ahead

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 03:23:39 PM »

Hi Faith,  Congratulations!   You must be really looking forward to that.  I just managed to register for an ISSPD (International Society for the Study of Personality Disorders) conference.  They are having a family day with keynote speakers.  I am beyond excited!   Way to go! (click to insert in post)  I have never had an opportunity like this until now.  I got the email about it from Sashbear Family Connections.   Is that who you are with? 

“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.”

― Charles R. Swindoll
PeaceMom

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 03:32:07 PM »

Faith,
I’ve been on the waitlist for Family Connections for 6 mos. they say there is such great need for this class, but they are short on resources. We are in a very large city and I suppose we just move up the list slowly. Please keep us posted.
Rosheger

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 04:28:21 PM »

Faith - that is great news!  I too have been on wait list for months. Wish they had the resources or whatever they need to get us in sooner!
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 08:51:26 PM »

That is great, Resilient!
Getting good education about BPD and sharing what we learn will help us all. The Family Connections program I will attend in December is part of the National Association for Education on BPD. I understand they are quite reputable. My husband also attended a 12 week program at a local hospital run by the National Association for Mental Health. He says that was also helpful.

Hang in there Peacemom It won't be long before you get your invitation too.
StressedOutDaily

Relationship status: married

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 04:47:59 AM »

Faith,

DH and I attended a one weekend (two day) Family connections weekend in May.  It was a turning point for us...nothing magically changed with my DD, however how we respond to what goes on and how we respond to her behaviors has changed and I believe has made a huge difference for DH, for me and our relationships with our children.   Much of what is in the class you already know (at least I think you do from reading your posts and your supportive responses to others) and it really solidifies that knowledge.  For us it was also being in a room of other people who knew what it was like to be in our shoes, all that support, hearing different ways of handling situations that made it a special weekend.         

I really believe that if we had not attended the FC weekend, our relationship with our DD as well as her wellbeing might be in a very different (and much worse)place right now.

So happy for you that you will have this opportunity!

~SOD
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 05:23:04 AM »

Thanks SOD. I am feeling good about my decision to invest this time. It can only help.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 01:29:10 PM »

I attended Family Connections a few years ago and it was like being on this board, but with faces  Smiling (click to insert in post)

It's peer-led, so the facilitators will be family members like you. That in itself was very healing. My facilitators were lovely people and what surprised me most was how much laughter there was. I didn't anticipate that. I guess there can be a gallows humor when you're in a room sharing tales about hard times.

It was a mixed group but the majority were parents with a BPD daughter, and a few with BPD sons. A handful were spouses. The loved ones with BPD ranged from teen-aged children to grown adults, and probably half struggling with addictions of one type or another. A broad range of backgrounds.

If you have read books like Loving Someone with BPD by Shari Manning or Overcoming BPD by Valerie Porr the information will resonate. You may find you know more than those who are just learning about their child's BPD.

After the workshop came to an end, we were eligible to be part of an ongoing support group that met once weekly. That group met an hour from where I live so I haven't attended but it was good to know there was a resource available like that.

You can also be selected (or volunteer) to become a facilitator. The classes to become a trained facilitator seem to be held in White Plains, New York over two nights (Fri-Sun).

It took a year before I was able to find one of the FC workshops in my area!

Breathe.
Rosheger

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 09:45:34 PM »

Curious to know if there is a way to find out locations of Family Connections.  I am near a big city so hoping that makes a difference.  Anyone know this?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 12:49:57 AM »

Rosheger
When you register for Family Connections you will see a drop down menu of locations. https://www.borderlinepersonalitydisorder.org/family-connections/family-connections-pre-registration-form/
StressedOutDaily

Relationship status: married

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 08:28:42 PM »

LnL -  A support group was not offered after our weekend . Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)   that would have been ideal!     There was a lot of laughter in our weekend as well, and tears too.     

Rosheger - if there is not a FC in your area, you can also sign up for a telecommunications class.

~SOD
Bluemoon23

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: living apart

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 09:11:45 AM »

Hi Faith,

I started my second round of Family Connections last Monday and will be doing it weekly for 12 weeks. I'm hoping that the reminders about how to communicate and to not engage in abusive ugly dialogue will the me gain my strength back. The arguing plum wore me out.

Good luck and hopefully you can gain some great insight and good ways of continuing the relationship with your son.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest