Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 11:53:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: suicide "attempts"/threats + drunken stupors + hating me, but beging me to stay  (Read 446 times)
sunchippumpkin
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: October 01, 2019, 01:45:34 PM »

So. My story is extremely long and I won't bore everyone with the details. Ive been with my significant other on and off again for 2.5 years. I could never really pin-point his behavior towards me and his constant splitting, but I just recently discovered that he is suffering from BPD, which has been a huge relief.

My/our current situation. He's had some significant stressors in the last few months and is very worried about his future. To make a long story short, he failed an important exam in medical school, and has to take a year off. He seems stuck in a rut of feelings of failure about himself and cannot break free from the intense fear he's been feeling. He can't face the school or anyone from it. He says that he is "scared and unsafe alone", but scared and unsafe if I come around too. We had broken up in July because he shut me off and basically blamed me for failing the test and for causing his intense feelings of fear and failure. I hadn't heard from him in weeks, until he called me at midnight one night saying he had taken a bunch of pills and drank a ton of alcohol and didn't want to be alone when he died.

He didn't die that night, but since that time he frequently expresses regret over not dying, and states he has several "other" plans about dying that he's hidden from me. He even admitted to taking a whole months worth of beta blockers 3 days ago when I wouldn't stay the night with him.  Oh I forgot to mention -- he's been seeing a therapist 2-3x per week for the last month or two and has also told her about his suicidality. He had another suicide attempt in 2005 and was committed to an inpatient hospital. He said the place was horrible and made him "way worse", so with his recent threats/attempts, he told me, his friends, and the therapist not to call 911 because if we did that would "officially set him over the edge" and he'd find a way to do complete it as soon as he got out.

So that's where I need  Paragraph header  (click to insert in post)! Im tired of the games and the emotional strain this has put on me. I hate feeling like he's going to die at any moment, but also feeling like it would be "my fault" if I were to call the police/911. I honestly feel like a lot of his threats are pleas for attention, but I've honestly had enough.

Last night I went over to his place to spend time with him and try to be a comfort but within an hour it turned into a manipulative psychopathic roller coaster. He'd only be happy if I gave him what he wanted -- sex, drugs, alcohol -- and when I told him I didnt think that was a good idea, he shut off, started giving me the silent treatment, and said "sorry for ruining your night, I know I'm a loser and keep ruining your life, just go home its better if you just leave me here alone". UGH! He then started drinking a ton of liquor and started getting verbally abusive, so I did in fact leave. He then texted and called me a million times  saying how he just needed me to come back and hold him and that he'd be "good" and wouldn't cause anymore problems. He made me feel that if I didnt go back, it could be his last night and I was the worst person in the world... but I honestly could not go back to the drama because I knew it would never end. What should I do? Is there anyway to have a civil conversation with him or should I just leave him alone since Im an obvious trigger to his stress?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 08:47:31 PM »

Hi Sunchippumpkin and welcome to the board. 

Dealing with suicidal ideation in a loved one is very difficult especially when there have been actual attempts coupled with what seems to be calls for attention.   

The thing is, if a person is saying they want to commit suicide, on some level it is probably true.  Unfortunately, your SO is tying your hands with his demand that you not contact 911.  That can be a scary scene for anyone, but it does not change the fact that he needs help.  Help that you are not trained or equipped to give him.   

Have you ever offered to take him to talk with someone at the ER or even with his therapist who would be able to help him?  Sometimes wording like that can make a difference.  It will also let him know that you are taking what he says seriously and if he is mostly doing this for attention, if you stick to this he may stop.  What is happening now is not sustainable for you. 

Do you think saying something like this would work?   Bullet: important point (click to insert in post)  I know you are really hurting right now and I will support you.  I am not trained to help you in this.  I can call your therapist or take you to the hospital so you can talk with someone who can help you.

Another suggestion for you is to call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 and tell them what the situation is and ask them what they recommend.   Another option is to text 741-741.  Your SO may find that less confrontational and threatening.

What do you think?

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
sunchippumpkin
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 10:06:12 PM »

Hi thank you so much for your reply. Its a sticky situation because being in medical school, all of his classmates will be rotating around the nearby hospitals and psych facilities, so he has been petrified of them finding out and he ending up their patient if I were to bring him to the ER.

I like the idea about what you suggest I tell him if/when it happens again, and I also like the idea of referring him to a few of those numbers. He can be very stubborn and think that "no one can help him or understand" which makes the situation harder too. I've sort of stayed away the last few days, and some days are better than others. He decided to move back home to take the year off, so by tomorrow it will technically be out of my hands :/
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest