Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 03:46:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My ex replied to my email today after two months of silence  (Read 942 times)
Skip
Site Director

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2019, 07:56:06 AM »

A lot of us would like to help you, RF. You face the hard choice now of deciding to face the fact that you are suffering from consistently bad and unconventional relationship decisions, or of seeking those who will validate that the root of your emotional pain and suicidal idealiation is other people.

September 28, 2018 Trying to decide to if you should let go of marital affair and recover marriage. Your heart is to recover affair.

August 7, 2018: Wife goes on vacation. Start of new martial affair and a promise to divorce. Old affair falls into the background.

October 8, 2018: My life has been a potential powder keg over the last 6 weeks. The AA woman I got involved with has been doing push/pull virtually every day around leaving my wife. I have reassured her a thousand times over the last six weeks that I love her and want to try to have a real relationship and future with her.

November, 2018: Vacation with wife in Italy.

November, 2018: Every day some fresh hell has been laid at my door while she  (new affair partner) overlooks her own behaviour.

Now, 1 year later...

Suicidal.

Vacillating between trying to rekindle affair #2 and painting her black and as an emotional, physical abuser.

Living with wife. She is done and ready to divorce.

Using affair partner number #1 as a confidant and therapist.

I do not have BPD - nobody on here is qualified to diagnose me as BPD either.

RF, you are the one who said you have BPD traits. See below.

I have been very open with her about my marriage, my ex and the fact that I am aware I may have some BPD traits. She in turn told me that her mother has NPD. I told her that I thought a significant number of people in AA (of which we are both members) may well have personality disorder traits. Now she has decided that I am a fully blown Narcissist...

I now realise what  a total unboundaried idiot I’ve been with my freedom of information about myself...

Perhaps she is correct about me and is doing what she sees as the sensible thing. However, doing it the day after declaring her love for me has made me realise that her traits are probably worse than mine because she is in denial about them. At least I know about mine and can come on here and discuss them.

There is a path out of all this, RF.

Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2019, 11:24:44 AM »

A lot of us would like to help you, RF.

You face the hard choice now of deciding to face the fact that you are suffering from consistently bad and unconventional relationship decisions, or of seeking those who will validate that the root of your emotional pain and suicidal idealiation as other people (denial).

September 28, 2018 Trying to decide to if you should let go of a 6 year marital affair and recover marriage. Your heart is to recover affair. You say you will attempt to revive marriage.

August 7, 2018: Wife goes on vacation. Start of new martial affair and a statement that your marriage is well over and a divorce is coming. Deep emotional struggle with old affair falls into the background.

October 8, 2018: You say My life has been a potential powder keg over the last 6 weeks. The AA woman I got involved with has been doing push/pull virtually every day around leaving my wife. I have reassured her a thousand times over the last six weeks that I love her and want to try to have a real relationship and future with her.

November, 2018: You vacation with your wife in Italy.

November, 2018: You say Every day some fresh hell has been laid at my door while she  (new affair partner) overlooks her own behaviour.

Now, 1 year later...

You are suicidal.

Vacillating between trying to rekindle affair #2 and painting her black and as an emotional, physical abuser.

Living with wife. She is done and ready to divorce.

Engaging affair partner number #1 as a confidant and therapist.

I do not have BPD - nobody on here is qualified to diagnose me as BPD either.

RF, you are the one who said you have BPD traits (see below)... I was just mirroring this back to you.

I have been very open with her about my marriage, my ex and the fact that I am aware I may have some BPD traits. She in turn told me that her mother has NPD. I told her that I thought a significant number of people in AA (of which we are both members) may well have personality disorder traits. Now she has decided that I am a fully blown Narcissist...

I now realise what  a total unboundaried idiot I’ve been with my freedom of information about myself...

Perhaps she is correct about me and is doing what she sees as the sensible thing. However, doing it the day after declaring her love for me has made me realise that her traits are probably worse than mine because she is in denial about them. At least I know about mine and can come on here and discuss them.

It doesn't matter what you call this, there is a path out, RF.  But it starts with you.

Before you got into this last affair, you got a lot of advice that said to "resolve your marriage (or divorce)" before getting romantically involved. Yes, resolving the marriage (or divorce) would be a struggle and work and jumping into an affair was a lot more motivating, but conventional wisdom was that likelihood that this would leave to a constructive love was scant.

Having a three year affair with the first married women (when you were single) - conventional wisdom was that likelihood that this would leave to a constructive love was scant.

Having an affair three years into your marriage - conventional wisdom was that likelihood that this would leave to a constructive love was scant.

It happened.

But the lesson is that compounding this further by running into another relationship now will just make matters worse.

You have been trying to resolve relationship problems with "ill advised' relationships for a decade. Read this:

So my ex (affair partner) and I are at detente. We are still in contact but not talking. There is no animosity and I have decided to move on by expanding my friendships with other women. Who am I kidding? Another woman.

There is a woman in AA who has gravitated towards me and I have allowed a friendship to blossom with her. She is due to go into hospital on Thursday for an operation and I have been spending time going out to the cinema and enjoying time with her. She knows I'm married and no doubt feels safe in my company since I have behaved like a perfect gentleman...

I am actually slightly annoyed at the AA woman deep down (not that I've let it show at all) as I feel like she is behaving a little like my ex. Enjoying my company and pulling away. In this case I think she simply wants a friendship to cope with the early days of not drinking. I shouldn't even be fraternising with her as I am long term sober and she is a newcomer to AA (not to mention I'm totally raw after the trauma of detaching from my ex) but I was drawn to her openness = unboundaried = my emotional equal = another impending disaster. Note to self: STAY AWAY!

and look at the date (where it fits in the timeline above). Look at what people were telling you at the time. Look at what you knew at the time. But you jumped in anyway. You have been powerless to avoid these "life traps"; powerless to manage intense emotions.

This is the issue you need to face. Because if you don't see taht this is what is killing you, you will do it again. Conventional wisdom says that it will takes 2-3 years to recover from a decade long collection of relationship debacles. You would do best to get into an environment where you can learn about healthy love.

RomanticFool

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2019, 11:35:22 PM »

I let myself get into the r/s with the AA woman because I was bored with my marriage. I didn’t expect her to physically attack me, gaslight me and essentially display narcissistic behaviour towards me.

I think I’ve been struggling with the impact her constant declarations that I am a narcissist has had on me. I don’t consider that I have either BPD or NPD. I didn’t react well to the AA woman and I can see that the damage she caused me on top of already feeling raw from the previous r/s has been the problem. I think allowing myself to get into that r/s was a disaster because she was extremely damaged. Not saying that I didn’t have a part in it, but it’s not a personality disorder part. It is allowing myself to be in yet another r/s before healing. I see that now. I guess if she hadn’t been as damaged as she is, we may well have had a wonderful relationship for a while. It would probably have ended in tears given her pathology but I do think I had no clue how to deal with the extremity of her behaviour. Even on holiday in a relaxed environment her behaviour was disordered. I behaved well for the most part (on holiday).

I am in an environment where I am abstaining from relationships. That is the whole ethos of SLAA. I need to put the focus on healing myself and staying away from a r/s for a while. Given I’m 56 years old it won’t be 2-3 years but it will be a considerable time and when I finally do meet somebody again it won’t be a person who is damaged in the way my ex was, I shall make sure of that.

I don’t think you should assume that I have a personality disorder just because I suspected I might myself. I work in an industry where there are many people who may have healthy and unhealthy levels of narcissism. I have always been well behaved at work. Nor do I argue with my friends and family generally in an unhealthy and unstable way. I show empathy and love. My reactive behaviours have emerged mainly in two relationships with two damaged and unstable women. I don’t  have similar issues with my wife and I have shown restraint and consideration towards her relationship and current situation. If I had a disorder I’d be shouting at her and showing no empathy whatsoever. However justified her relationship is my abandonment fears would kick in and I’d create drama. I have done none of that. I have recognised that my behaviour destroyed our marriage and that I am now living with the consequences of those actions. Does that sound like a disordered person, or somebody who is now looking at his own actions with honesty and without emotionally reacting. I react well to my wife because she is reasonable and fair minded. To be honest, even if she was behaving emotionally and angrily I would still not react because I know my actions have hurt her. My ex is a different matter entirely. She has hurt me deeply and I feel let down by her. Even then I am not behaving towards her with the level of anger she has shown towards me. In fact there has been no anger shown towards her at all during the last few months when she was alternately delivering ST on me and raging at me. I behaved with restraint. Even when I reconnected all I said was I loved her. Those are not actions consistent with a personality disorder. Those are actions consistent with somebody who is hurt and grieving.

I don’t believe with a bit of distance that I have been behaving in a disordered way even with the break up from my ex. She sent me a host of abusive and provocative messages before she walked away from me and I didn’t react badly. I know enough about the way she is to know that if I was disordered I’d have been spitting venom at her and I haven’t done that.

By the way are you aware that the way you used the word ‘yeh’ was lacking in empathy and upset me at a time when I was looking for support? I think we should addrsss that issue.

RF
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 11:51:21 PM by RomanticFool » Logged

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2019, 10:36:39 AM »

Staff only This thread has reached its maximum length and is now locked. The OP is welcome to begin a new thread. Thanks for your participation.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest