Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 03:08:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could use encouragement  (Read 359 times)
HopefulAndTired
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« on: October 13, 2019, 07:19:24 AM »

I am new to this site. I am experiencing challenges not getting hooked by my partner's angry emotional outbursts that come from what seem to me to be inconsequential triggers, though I understand they are very real triggers for my partner. I am familiar with the BPD patterns and anxiety/control/unloading/despair cycle. At the same time, I am not consistently able to neutralize my innate human self-protection response to his BPD episodes. I often feel a need to self-protect during my partner's outbursts, as they are generally focused on me. My spouse is very successful in his work and appears to others as charming and helpful and loving, which are authentic aspects of his personality. However, during his episodes which he appears to save for me, he is a totally different person full of rage and hostility. I feel so sad for him and us, and like a failure as a wife and friend even though I know I am not. I am just looking for some understanding from others who may relate to my experience. I love him very much. I am also very, very tired of the BPC rollercoaster.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Radcliff
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 08:45:05 PM »

Welcome
I'm so sorry for the pain you're feeling.  You're not alone, and have found a great place to get support.  Many folks here will be able to relate to your experience.  You'll be able to learn tools to lessen the impact of these situations on you.  Can you describe one of his recent rage episodes?  What triggered it, what did he do, and how did you respond?

RC
Gcarter

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 09:34:52 PM »

I remember those days. Where every move you made is a wrong one, even if it's exactly what they asked for. The anger is just overflowing.

Just make sure to give yourself time and space after is passes IF YOU CAN, to rejuvenate.

VaticanCameos

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 09:39:58 PM »

I am new to this site. I am experiencing challenges not getting hooked by my partner's angry emotional outbursts that come from what seem to me to be inconsequential triggers, though I understand they are very real triggers for my partner. I am familiar with the BPD patterns and anxiety/control/unloading/despair cycle. At the same time, I am not consistently able to neutralize my innate human self-protection response to his BPD episodes. I often feel a need to self-protect during my partner's outbursts, as they are generally focused on me. My spouse is very successful in his work and appears to others as charming and helpful and loving, which are authentic aspects of his personality. However, during his episodes which he appears to save for me, he is a totally different person full of rage and hostility. I feel so sad for him and us, and like a failure as a wife and friend even though I know I am not. I am just looking for some understanding from others who may relate to my experience. I love him very much. I am also very, very tired of the BPC rollercoaster.
Hi! You are not alone. I can relate 100% to what you're going through and it is so hard. My husband also has bpd and has irrational outbursts of anger. It can be terrifying and of course trigger my self-preserving instincts. I understand that all too well. I usually just retreat and avoid him as much as possible. The frustrating things for me are trying to shield our daughter from his episodes and him acting like nothing happened the next day.
I wish there was a way to get your husband to admit his need for help. That's what I wish for everyone who's dealing with someone with bpd. My husband ended up cutting himself and doing some other self-destructive behaviors recently and he decided to go to the doctor who prescribed him some meds and referred him to a psychologist (whom he has yet to see).
Anyway, you are NOT alone and millions of people can relate. It sucks big time and I'm sorry for you. I really hope he can get some help Smiling (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest