Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 01:13:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So Much Pain - She just flipped on me  (Read 337 times)
So Lost
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: October 16, 2019, 01:56:32 PM »

Hello,
I just got totally rejected and discarded from an 18 month relationship. I was always being accused of cheating and it was the farthest thing from the truth. We had gone through a 1 month split and got back together. Things were back to amazing for 2 months. She completely flipped on me in a 24 hour time frame. I had been asking her what was wrong and she said she was just stressed and needed more time to herself. I said okay and stayed at my own place a night after amazing love making.The next day she told me to come get my things and that she had too many unsettled issues with me in her soul. She is now cold and distant  but keeps asking to be friends.. I cannot go there because I am totally annihilated inside. She did say she thought I was going to be breaking up.. I have no idea where this thought came from. Help me to understand and what steps are best for me to take?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 02:58:54 PM by once removed, Reason: moved from Conflicted to Bettering or Reversing a Breakup » Logged
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 09:54:49 PM »

Welcome

I just wrote this to another member, and it applies well to your situation:

This kind of push-pull dynamic is a hallmark of BPD relationships.  It can be very confusing, but once we recognize it as a pattern, it can become a little less confusing.  pwBPD often have ambivalent feelings about intimacy.  They may want it, but it may be scary.  So they get close, then push away, then want to get close again.  Knowing that this is going on can help us take things less personally.

When things are going well, enjoy it, but try to still be observant and mindful about what's going on.  If they raise the level of intensity and you want to respond, go for it, but be aware that if you raise the level of intensity, it may scare them.  If they pull away, give them some space, but be available for reconnection.  While they are in a pulled back mode, use that time for self care activities and to make sure you're not losing touch with other friends and your support network. 

It's very important for you to not lose touch with your emotional needs and what works for you in a relationship.  It would be nice if you could have a conversation with her where she acknowledges how what she did made you feel, and makes you feel safe to come back into the relationship.  She may not have the relationship skills for that.  When she says she "just wants to be friends," she's saying that the intimacy scared her, and right now, that's what she feels safe with.  You can choose to be friends and proceed cautiously, or to distance yourself further.  There's no right answer, it depends on your feelings and needs.  How are you feeling about things now?

RC
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 08:12:13 AM »

Excerpt
We had gone through a 1 month split and got back together.
she had too many unsettled issues with me in her soul

what happened with the one month split? what led up to it?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest