Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 07:00:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: C left for hospital about an hour ago.  (Read 476 times)
boogs152

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« on: October 27, 2019, 04:23:46 PM »

Mod Note:  This thread is a continuation of https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=340212.0

Yes Gem it’s been all of that and more as I’m sure you know all too well. Thanks for offering some comfort in your words.

C* left for hospital about an hour ago. I walked him out to his car in the hazy morning sunlight. It was emotionally painful when he put his arm around my shoulders as we walked side  by side.

My throat was tight and sore. I couldn’t speak out  of fear that a single word may open the floodgates of my own tears.

He looked sad and grey. C* told me he loved me but I couldn’t return the sentiment... not because I didn’t want to but as to protect myself... in silence... my lips tightened and eyes holding back tears behind my sunglasses.

We embraced and he said goodbye... I said nothing... nothing at all...and then he was gone.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 11:33:28 AM by Harri, Reason: split thread due to length » Logged
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 11:34:43 PM »

Hi boogs.

It is going to take time to settle and heal.  This is so difficult and there is no good ending but I think, given that, you did really well.  I am sure it hurts though.

How are you doing?

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
boogs152

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 01:32:23 AM »

Hi Harri,

I’m quite tearful today. I know things will get better in time. I just need to stay on course. I think I can. I just hope I don’t get hit with something left field if you know what I mean.

My family are sorry that we have split but were sympathetic to the difficult situation I had found myself in. My mother knows it all but still liked C* none the less.
C* wore a sophisticated mask as you can imagine.
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 06:21:41 AM »

Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Please do something special for yourself today.  And let us know about it!

Very proud of the strength you have shown.

Best,

FF

boogs152

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 06:00:24 AM »

Strength? I’m not sure. The only thing I keep focusing on is what I need to do... and what’s the BEST thing to do rather than what my heart wants to do.

I’m trying to go no contact or limit my contact. I notice that my mind keeps wanting to return to thoughts of C* or perhaps wanting to mention him to someone in a conversation or to look at pics. I read somewhere here that when going no contact it’s best to not talk about my ex or look at pics etc.  I’m really trying to follow those guidelines and it makes a lot of sense but why do feel the urge to talk about him or look at pics? It’s interesting to observe the thoughts in my mind. Can anyone explain to me what’s going on for me at this stage of a breakup?

Self care was coffee in the park today
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 09:53:08 PM »

Hi boogs.

Excerpt
why do feel the urge to talk about him or look at pics?
It makes sense to me that you are thinking about him and want to talk about him.  He was/is a big apart of your life for a long time and you both had some pretty strong emotional ties.  Those don't go away all of a sudden after a relationship ends even though you knew this was coming and planned for it. 

We have an article that you might want to read titled No Contact: The Right Way & The Wrong Way  See if it helps any in terms of understanding what you are feeling.  I'm not sure if it is a complete fit for you though. 

Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

boogs152

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 03:03:35 AM »

Thanks Harri. I’ve read the link and then re read it. It’s been five days since C* left. He tried contacting me for the first time via phone call. I didn’t answer. My heart was racing. He left a message that I’ve deleted.

I think I’ll send him a text message saying that we shouldn’t contact each other for a while. I’ll also state that we should focus on our own healing and that I don’t wish to be in an unhealthy relationship and that I’m not attracted to him anymore?

Super anxious now.
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 06:52:51 AM »

Is it wise to let him know either way about your attraction to him?

Simpler is usually better isn't it?

You both need to focus on healing.  Removal of distractions is a big part of that.

What's the most succinct message you can come up with?

When he went to the hospital were any plans made for future contact or lack of contact?

Best,

FF

Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 08:15:15 PM »

Hi boogs.   Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

I agree with what FF says about simplifying your message to him.   Keep your message caring but neutral and focused on healing. 

I know you don't want to leave him any room to think you may get back together with him.  Saying you do not find him attractive and that you do not want to be in an unhealthy relationship seems a bit like kicking him when he is down though I know you do not mean it that way. 

What do you think?

boogs152

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 02:09:10 AM »

I sent a message saying,

“I think it’s best if we don’t contact each other for a while. We were in an unhealthy relationship. We both need to focus on our own individual healing now.

I’m anxious about giving him the wrong message. I dont want to go to all this trouble to make space between C* and I only to take steps backwards towards him again. I’ve deliberately told a small number of friends all that he has done in order to keep me accountable to ending the relationship properly  because my heart still holds hope. I can’t take anymore risks. I’ve endured a lot to even make the break by this point.

Does that make sense?
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 07:59:14 AM »

I don't want to go to all this trouble to make space between C* and I only to take steps backwards towards him again. I’ve deliberately told a small number of friends all that he has done in order to keep me accountable to ending the relationship properly because my heart still holds hope.

I'm glad that you're aware of the risk of later — as the impact of past problems fade — wondering if trying the relationship again might work the second time around.  Frankly, it is best for you to end thoughts of future contact and not expect some sudden insight or epiphany from your ex.  You can't fix him, ex's perception of the baggage of the close relationship was the impediment, maybe some emotionally neutral professionals can help him, but you can't.  Grant yourself any Closure you need so you can recover and Move On with your life.

Good too that you've enlisted a support group of sorts to aid you to keep perspective balanced and you more protected.

boogs152

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 04:09:11 AM »

Thanks forever dad.

It’s been six weeks no contact. I still think about him everyday. I’m processing a lot. I find my mind keeps trying to figure it out...figure him out...

I guess it’s just my way of processing grief.

I don’t feel this huge gaping hole since he’s been gone. I spent so much time alone in the relationship that there wasn’t anything to really hold on to in the end.
I’m still just going about doing things on my own as I always did when we were together. This is the thing tho... he didn’t realise that shutting down on me meant that I didn’t really have that much to lose by walking away.All I had left was myself.

I chose me.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest