Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 04:23:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's okay...it always is.  (Read 380 times)
udunnome81

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: November 15, 2019, 02:50:52 PM »

‍Today my therapist hit the nail on the head. And it hurts a lot.

My purpose in life was to be a good man, who would be the best husband he could be no matter what trials would come. And in this he would be a great father. A MAN. Who would raise his children to know right from wrong and teach them how to be productive members of society. Someone who could teach and show what it means to live by principle. This is always what I've wanted, since being a kid.

I've been mad, depressed, sick, and confused about everything. Trying to find reasons. When the truth is, when she walked out on us, she took something from me that was so very personal, and yet so important. She took with her my purpose.

Everything revolved around her. I did anything and everything to make it work, even though she couldn't try. I took time and learned about communication, I learned psychology, I did everything in my power to be a better man, never asking her to change. In the end, it didn't matter.

I'm sure there was a time in history where my purpose in life would have been honored and respected, but apparently this is not true of the world today.

I am told I need to find a new purpose. Something for me and only me. A selfish pursuit that would seem.

Today, I really felt like I was finally honest with myself and my therapist, true to what I really feel that I'm not finding contentment in being the man I've tried to be. And she spelled it out. Told me that she doesn't want to sit there hearing/saying the same thing every week, and she doesn't want that for me either. I need to find something that will drive me.

I don't have the energy, time, or freedom for that. I have a strong and engaging mind, sadly only having mediocre abilities. I'm tired, frustrated, lost and I spend all my time trying to be a peacekeeper and mediator for everyone else. I have my faith. It must not be strong enough.

lucidone

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 06:42:30 PM »

‍Today my therapist hit the nail on the head. And it hurts a lot.

My purpose in life was to be a good man, who would be the best husband he could be no matter what trials would come. And in this he would be a great father. A MAN. Who would raise his children to know right from wrong and teach them how to be productive members of society. Someone who could teach and show what it means to live by principle. This is always what I've wanted, since being a kid.

I've been mad, depressed, sick, and confused about everything. Trying to find reasons. When the truth is, when she walked out on us, she took something from me that was so very personal, and yet so important. She took with her my purpose.

Everything revolved around her. I did anything and everything to make it work, even though she couldn't try. I took time and learned about communication, I learned psychology, I did everything in my power to be a better man, never asking her to change. In the end, it didn't matter.

I'm sure there was a time in history where my purpose in life would have been honored and respected, but apparently this is not true of the world today.

I am told I need to find a new purpose. Something for me and only me. A selfish pursuit that would seem.

Today, I really felt like I was finally honest with myself and my therapist, true to what I really feel that I'm not finding contentment in being the man I've tried to be. And she spelled it out. Told me that she doesn't want to sit there hearing/saying the same thing every week, and she doesn't want that for me either. I need to find something that will drive me.

I don't have the energy, time, or freedom for that. I have a strong and engaging mind, sadly only having mediocre abilities. I'm tired, frustrated, lost and I spend all my time trying to be a peacekeeper and mediator for everyone else. I have my faith. It must not be strong enough.

Hey udunnome81.  You're here posting on this forum.  I think it would be right to assume that you were involved with someone who you suspect has BPD.  You're a man with principles and morals.  You're a good person, and I'm sure a lot of people respect you.  It seems that your experience has you questioning your capabilities and beliefs.  For the love of god, if you've been involved in a relationship with someone BPD, please don't let that experience do this to you.  You've been exposed to something abnormal and extreme that would have ANYONE shaken and questioning themselves.  It doesn't mean that you aren't strong enough.  It just means you were in an impossible situation.

You can do anything and everything to try to satisfy a BPD, and you may temporary satisfy them, but it wont last.  There will always be something else.  Many times what their concern isn't what they're actually concerned about.  They probably don't even know what the cause of their concern is.  It's just the outward, external representation of issues they have inside of themselves.  its just how they label their inner turmoil.  These issues will always be there, in various intensities, and it can't be satisfied or fixed by you.  They need self reflection and therapy.  All you can really do is cope with it, which again, can be impossible.  It's not a reflection of you as a person.  Its a reflection as them as a person.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 05:23:32 AM »

Excerpt

a divorce involves a huge identity crisis.

it isnt just a breakup.

its the loss of that purpose. the loss of a sense of self. the loss in the things you take pride in and find joy in. the loss of a deep bond with so many layers.

and it feels so defeating.

grieving all of that along with the relationship itself is an enormous undertaking.

Excerpt
I am told I need to find a new purpose.

sure. in a lot of ways, that is the answer. we build new lives.

easier said than done, huh.

i dont think the answer is that you just pick something, and lo and behold, you find your purpose. this is something that will occur over a long period of time, with some trial and error, and more likely than not, you will realize it more in hindsight than as its happening. there will come a day where you look at your life and realize you feel a sense of fulfillment.

a good start is to find connection to something bigger than yourself. doing so is good for growth, and tends to reveal and reinforce the best parts of you. i know that for me personally, it was getting involved here. there are lots of ways. getting involved in your church. volunteering. helping a friend in need. getting into a divorce recovery class, for example, might be a good idea.

none of it will be a silver bullet that will soothe your loss and your grief.

likely, the sense of purpose you had during your marriage did not begin over night. it was an investment that you made, thousands of times. and it may feel now, that so much of it was sunken cost.

i would argue that it probably wasnt. that a relationship not working out is not about one person as a failure of a human being. that even two people can love each other very much and desperately try to make it work, and it may not.

your purpose isnt over. it has changed.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
udunnome81

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 09:21:34 AM »

Thank you Lucidone & Once Removed.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest