Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 03:56:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ultimatums  (Read 497 times)
soulmate4ever
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« on: November 18, 2019, 01:38:11 PM »

I am looking seeking advice as someone fairly new to experiencing BPD characteristics from a close, close (sibling-like) friend. My friend has BPD, but when we are around each other, I almost never see it. I have never fully experienced my friend’s BPD. This past weekend, my friend came to visit me at school. For some reason (which my friend hasn’t expressed), my friend has a very strong hatred towards my romantic partner even though my friend has only spoken to my partner about twice. Knowing my friend doesn’t like my partner, I tried to keep my time with my friend separate from my time with my partner. On Saturday night, we ran into my partner. My friend was instantly in a visibly bad mood. My friend said something to my partner that prompted my parter to respond with, “Do you always act like an uptight bi**h?” I had my partner leave immediately, and my friend went deadly silent. I have never experienced this when I have been around my friend. Then my friend got unbelievably angry and started sobbing. My friend went into detail about life with BPD and how it affects both mind and body. I was sitting there, just supporting my friend and letting my friend speak. My friend left Sunday morning and I thought everything was resolved but then I received a “threatening,” ultimatum like text from my friend. My friend basically said that they tried to support my relationship with my partner, but they could not. That my partner tries to pit women against each other, is pathetic and disgusting. My friend then proceeded to say that while unable to make decisions for me, as long as I even associate myself with my partner, they would never come to visit me again. My friend then sent a second message saying that they were extremely hurt that I didn’t say anything to my partner after my partner called my friend a “bi**h” (even though I told my partner not to call my friend that and had my partner leave) and that if the situation were reversed they would have “ripped said partner apart” for calling me a “bi**h.”
That is my current situation and I haven’t said anything in fear of saying the wrong thing and setting my friend off again. We have been friends for 10 years and I don’t understand how or why this one situation set off my friend so bad. I love my friend deeply, but I can’t let my friend win by making me choose, because then when the next partner comes along and my friend doesn’t like them, will I have to choose again?

I am desperate for any advice on how to handle this situation. It is all very new to me, and I cannot lose my friend.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 02:29:05 PM by once removed, Reason: moved from the help desk to the Bettering board » Logged
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Forgiveness

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 02:43:21 PM »

This is a tough place to be. My guess is that you will not need to choose. You can validate your friend's feelings by saying, "Yes nobody likes to be called the B-word. I can understand that hurts." But I would not address the other part (that you have to choose).

I would make a phone call and not use text. Hear her out but just don't engage with the discussion about her not coming to visit you again. A person with BPD can change their mind three times in five minutes. Just don't take it seriously. Most likely she is intensely jealous and she's actually worried you'll abandon her first.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest