Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 01:00:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Son took a bunch of pills  (Read 701 times)
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Shaky

« on: November 18, 2019, 05:18:21 PM »

I just got back from Africa yesterday unfortunately in bad health. I keep having fainting spells so I am pretty much confined to bed which sucks. In the middle of this my husband tells me he just heard from a friend of my son who says DS just took a bunch of pills. H is going over there thank God. I am in no shape to face this. I am utterly exhausted in every way.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Trusting-waiting

Relationship status: Mom

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 05:28:24 PM »

I’m praying for you, son, and family! Sometimes it is a blessing to be temporarily out of commission. I had similar experience with my dd a couple times when she was younger. She “just wanted to sleep for a couple days”.  I hope you get all the rest you need to recoup!
Resiliant

Relationship status: Married. With adult child relationship can be described as loving. Cloudy with sunny breaks. High wind warning. Risk of thunderstorms but much less severe than previous. Long term forecast shows promise of sunnier days ahead

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 06:20:29 PM »

Oh Faith I'm so sorry!   I do agree with Trusting.  Get your rest, thank God for your husband and I too will be praying for you and your family.   With affection (click to insert in post) With affection (click to insert in post)

“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.”

― Charles R. Swindoll
Blueskyday

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 08:56:23 PM »

Ohh Faith,
I am so sorry.
Stay in the bed and sleep as much as you are able. Sleep is a blessing and a healer.

Hope he's Ok..xx
twocrazycats

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 10:20:12 PM »

I'm so sorry Faith. I hope your son is okay, and that you feel better soon. Keeping you all in my prayers.
2CC
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 02:52:04 AM »

My son is physically OK and still messed up otherwise. My husband's visit accomplished nothing. I feel.like we need to both step back and let him deal with his own life. If he chooses to f it up so be it. That is his choice.
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 03:22:14 AM »

Faith I'm glad your son is ok physically. I hope you are able to rest up and you feel better soon. WDx

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 11:53:07 AM »

I am glad he is OK physically.  Take care of you, I am sorry you are ill.

PeaceMom

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 12:13:46 PM »

Faith,
Welcome back and I’m sorry you are unwell and having to run smack into DS’s poor coping skills. Every time I read your updates I’m reminded of the “Radically accepting” stance that I’ve be advised to take on a daily basis. I’d like it to be a one time thing and just work really hard to Radically accept this mess and call it done, but that is impossible because the goal line is always moving and the behaviors are always changing so we need to do it everyday to set our minds straight.

I told you was was doing a trauma intensive 3 day based on Pia Melody’s work) and you were interested. It was based on early years0-17 and included somatic work from Peter Levine. It really was an eye opener for me and very effective. Would you be interested in anything like that?
Big hug to you,
Peacemom
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 02:27:12 PM »

He is so sensitive for this world, it's heartbreaking that he can not pull himself toward the light, FaithHopeLove.

Is there a Wellness Recovery Action Plan facilitator he might be willing to connect with? It is based on a peer-to-peer system of those who have walked this path: https://copelandcenter.com/find-facilitator/facilitator-directory

somatic work from Peter Levine.

I can't say enough about this work. Like PeaceMom, I've done some trauma work based on Levine's somatic experiencing work and it has been remarkable.

I was able to visit with my family, the origin of a fair bit of trauma, and my body was not activated. It is amazing how much easier it is to radically accept something when your body is not in fight/flight or freeze mode.

Breathe.
PeaceMom

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 04:22:03 PM »

LNL,
Yes this has been my exact experience, as well. I’ve been researching S.E. for BPD and it seems very appropriate. Some studies believe there is likely a trauma component to BPD so I’m wondering why we don’t read more about S.E.? My DD is so dysregulated in her body that she can’t even work the DBT skills.  She has trouble with eye contact, physical touch and is quite sickly. All these symptoms are somatic based.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Resiliant

Relationship status: Married. With adult child relationship can be described as loving. Cloudy with sunny breaks. High wind warning. Risk of thunderstorms but much less severe than previous. Long term forecast shows promise of sunnier days ahead

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 06:38:23 PM »

Wow lived'nlearned and Peacemom.  I've read about Somatic experiencing and it's supposed to be very good for PTSD as well.
I was originally going to come on to say I'm wondering if Faith's return from South Africa triggered this response.  Just like there was a trigger when she left.   Just a question - since my son gets triggered each time that I leave and each time that I return.  Only in a different way but I'm still curious.

“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.”

― Charles R. Swindoll
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 04:33:37 AM »

I am thinking about SE. Still not sure if it is for me or not. As for DS, he has so far been resistant to most therapy although he did go for one joint session with my H. As for me going and coming it may be triggering for DS as he does have attachment issues with me. Anyway one step at a time. First priority is my health.
Blueskyday

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 12:00:14 PM »

How are you feeling physically now Faith?

FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 05:31:29 AM »

Physically I am better although not fully recovered. I am planning to stay home and rest for a few more days.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest