Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:04:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A nice exchange with S5’s mom  (Read 480 times)
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Dissolved

« on: December 28, 2019, 02:44:37 PM »

S5 and I had a pretty decent Christmas together. I had to meet his mom the evening of Christmas Eve for the exchange. Whenever we have to meet in person she’s always with her boyfriend now. The first time stung, but now, whatever. I just don’t care. Anyway, we exchanged our boy without incident. When I got home I sent her a message. “Merry Christmas, S5’s mom”. She sent the same message back and I broke down. I didn’t say anything else to her. I sat with my emotions and let it be. I guess I don’t quite understand why I cried. Maybe it was because she was kind and it’s been a long time since I felt that from her? Nothing rekindled in me, that fire is out. Why did I get emotional over that? Is it just remnants of grieving for her? Did I feel like a human with feelings to her?

I didn’t respond, although I would have in the not so distant past. I just left it there.

“Adversity can destroy you, or become your best seller.”
-a new friend
GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 03:29:41 PM »

Being able to "sit with it," acknowledge, and process your thoughts and feelings without feeling the need to respond and take action - - that's a sign of healing and maturity.

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 04:25:40 PM »

Thanks, GaGrl. I hope so.

-a new friend
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 04:40:35 PM »

It could very well be remnants of grief, plus the emotionality of the holiday season in general for people like us who have been through broken relationships with romantic partners as well as family. Christmas brings a sense of sadness for me, even though I always enjoy watching S4 open his presents.

It could be just that the sadness of the situation hit you with those words. Two people who once were in a romantic relationship, had a child, and are now leading separate lives connected only by the child they had, and they exchange simple words of holiday wishes which are far from the heated conflicts that characterize the past. That's enough to bring tears to someone's eyes, especially someone who has been through some intense emotional situations.

Sometimes, little things like that can make me cry when I least expect it. Just a reminder that I am still on a journey to healing, not the final destination. Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

We are more than just our stories.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 10:01:47 PM »

What prompted you to send the message rather than telling her at the exchange?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 04:30:05 PM »

We don’t exchange much face to face. It’s usually through daycare. I get nervous, and I think she does too when we have to exchange in person. We don’t talk. We simply exchange our child. Truth is my anxiety spikes whenever I have to see her in person. Exchanges are short and sweet with nothing said between us. I don’t know. It was Christmas and all. I just wish that we could bury the axe somehow.

-a new friend
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 09:17:49 PM »

Then how you both did is a start. Keep it going.  People mirror, nit all mirroring is bad; indeed, it's an essential and healthy human interaction. She mirrored your kindness. 

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 09:27:14 PM »

Excerpt
I just wish that we could bury the axe somehow.

Then how you both did is a start.

i agree with Turkish about this. its likely not an axe that will be buried over night. but every little bit can go a long way, and turn into more little bits. its an awkward situation, and impossible to say what the ideal form of relationship can look like between the two of you, but the more good will, over time, the better.

Excerpt
Truth is my anxiety spikes whenever I have to see her in person.

what do you think is driving it? are you anticipating her being difficult?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 04:14:50 PM »

I agree with you guys after thinking about this a bit. Bit by bit. I had adopted the approach that I would be playing a long game with S5’s mom, but not in this way. I don’t see any of this as a game, so please forgive my wording. I’m trying to paint a picture.

You’re right, this won’t happen overnight. That’s fine. I understand what it is and it’s improving for now. I’ll take it. I can see and understand that maybe this was mirroring, and just because it happened doesn’t mean it was a disordered thing. It was actually quite nice. Actually, his mom has finally agreed to an additional overnight throughout the week. Communication with her has been a very hard thing for me. Mostly because I’ve been doing it wrong. Things seem to be turning a bit for the better.

I’m thinking that my being anxious during face to face exchanges may be a habit. An imbedded thought that I should probably do something with. I am afraid of an explosion every time, but things seem pretty peaceful now. I think that she hugs and loves on him a bit much while I’m standing there waiting to get our Son, but there isn’t any hostility.

Yes, once removed, I’ve been anticipating her being difficult. That hasn’t been the case for a while, so I guess I should simmer down a bit and be glad that things are calm for now.

-a new friend
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 09:26:02 AM »

I’m revisiting this thread because a very valid point was made about mirroring, and I think I’m seeing this more now, even though mistakes that I’ve made. Maybe this post should be on the parenting board, but the conversation is here for now.

S5 has been in pajamas the last four times that I picked him up from daycare. The last time I picked him up he didn’t have shoes, so I asked his mom about it. I tried to word it effectively, but it inevitably blew up. I was cussed and called dense. After reading through the engagement I saw that I used JADE. I thought I was farther along than that. Obviously, I’m not. I still react with my emotions to an extent. I didn’t jab at her, I was defending myself. Wrong thing to do.

This exchange made me realize that I’m not keeping my boundaries in place. I’m allowing them to be fluid and that doesn’t work. Things seemed to be going well between S5’s mom and I, but the pattern always shows itself. When things are peaceful, something will disrupt it.

I suppose I’m just venting. I guess that this was a reality check of sorts. I’m not done learning yet unfortunately. It’s tiresome at times.

Anyway, she mirrored back my negativity, I think. Or she became defensive out of shame. Either way, in my eyes, our feelings shouldn’t trump the subject at hand which is our Son. I think I failed at communicating with her.

-a new friend
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 11:33:42 AM »

Don't be too hard on yourself. It is normal to feel uncomfortable when we have to interact with the other parent and we can't count on the interaction to be civil or the other parent to do what is in the best interests of the child. With time, you will be less affected by what you she does in intensity and how long it bothers you. You are getting better at not taking personally what she does and how she reacts. As a father, sometimes you do have to speak up when the other parent is not treating the child right, and you do have to pick your battles. You are right that you cannot have fluid boundaries with a disordered person.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest