Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 06:22:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emotional disregulation and tolerance of seasonal illness  (Read 381 times)
Etsy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Mother

« on: January 17, 2020, 05:41:08 AM »

Hi,
This is a bit of a sanity check, and interest in shared experiences.
Is the depth or intensity of their illness felt with the same intensity and emotional disregulation as other stuff they experience?
I guess I already know the answer to my question, but i need to have a sanity check

When your loved one with BPD, goes down with an illness, in this case a hideous cough and sore throat (I can confirm that it is hideous as I am suffering as well albeit a couple of days ahead.)
General over the counter painkillers are not effective.
I have been awoken the past 3 nights, last night being the worst. So have the neighbours with door slamming and walls being banged, cussing and verbally abusive. (Just not coping with the pain of a hideously sore throat) Last night  there was a request for an ambulance, I asked if she wanted me to take her to a&e, and she said yes,  this was by now at 4am. (We had already seen a nurse earlier that day at our Drs surgery, so it had been confirmed that there was no infection with the sore throat.)
I guess/is this  about distress tolerance? She has dropped off the DBT, and did not complete that module.
Is it hell for you guys when your loved one goes down with a seasonal illness?
Thanks
Etsy

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 08:59:18 PM »

Seasonal illness is an extra stressor  for them. One more thing that overwhelms them / they can't cope with. 
You are not alone with this.
I hope she gets back onto DBT soon- please keep us posted.

Etsy

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 09:28:10 PM »

Thanks Swimmy55,

It has been a huge trigger. I guess I was posting on here as a bit of a sanity check, having the same bug/illness was pulling on all my resources, and at times it became difficult to dodge the hand grenades. I guess all things considered, it could have been a lot worse, if I had not been able to pull and draw on the learned skills of the past 10 months or so. Both still poorly,  ... of which I have had the blame (repeating Brene Brown's words in my head, "Blame is the discharge of pain and discomfort " almost like a mantra) I do feel we are coming out the other side, it has just been a demanding and challenging week. A particularly nasty bug and hideous sore throat, that has been so debilitating, which DD, would have felt even more intensely!

Etsy
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 09:34:27 AM »

I do sympathize with the BPD's  plight on not being able to tolerate life and then getting ill on top of that.  This sends them into top crisis mode.  For your sake, know you did good by her in this instance.  Her crisis  mode will pass ( until the next crisis for her comes up).  Meanwhile, good on you for  focusing  onto getting yourself well and for recognizing  her actions for what they are- poor coping /unable to self sooth  with her own discomfort.  Feel better.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest