Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 21, 2024, 12:38:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do BDPs ever cling onto their ex like this?  (Read 410 times)
Thebiglimp

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up

« on: June 08, 2020, 05:40:14 AM »

Hi this is actually about my bpd ex but her behavior im about to question was prevailant thru our stormy relationship so im posting it here to gain some clarity.

Her ex dumped her after a yr of being together. From what sketchy narrative shes told, it was obvious she burnt him out and it was tough on him to stay on the relationship. I met her soon after the breakup and we stayed friends for a yr. During which time she was talking to me exessively (like hrs of texting everyday) and confiding me in everything. I was out of the country so it was more or less a penpal situation. She told me 6 months post her breakup that she was still in love with her ex and shes trying to move on. They seemed to keep eachother in orbit in this weird dynamic that i saw as unhealthy. Then she found a guy for a short term dating who helped her finally 'physically' get over her ex. Then 3 months later her ex announces that he might have found someone and she starts having a meltdown, that her attachment disorder is getting full blown. All the while keep assuring me that she only loves him as a friend. Discarding this red flag like an idiot i actually started a relationship with her soon after. Then soon become insecure about her ex staying in the picture. Her assurance being she has no feelings like that for him anymore and he gets more annoying the more she becomes attracted to me. Then a month in and after many a small arguements about him, she ghosts him, and coincidentally on the same week suffers an ulcer. Then a week after, dumps me from an engulfment trigger, then a week after that, on a camping trip with a new crush.

Yes it sounds like a huge mess and im so glad i actually found a psychological explaination for it that i can share here.

My question is, what was this weird dynamic with her ex?

She was clearly in 'love' with me at a point. And even infatuated with the guy who helped her physically get over her ex. And when she kept repeating she had no romantic feelings for the guy it was actually very convincing.

He had actually saved her from suicidal depression which is why they got in the relationship in the first place. And her interaction with him seen from afar, was more like that to a brother.

Maybe i was the guy who finally helped her emotionally monkey branch from him?

And maybe unknownst to her and her bpd mind, it was more of a paternal love that she had developed for him?

Any replies welcome. Thank you.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 10:42:30 PM »

Excerpt
I met her soon after the breakup and we stayed friends for a yr.

My question is, what was this weird dynamic with her ex?

its sort of like "the one who got away".

some people, sometimes, have difficulty resolving a previous relationship. they struggle to fully grieve it, and move on.

Excerpt
Then she found a guy for a short term dating who helped her finally 'physically' get over her ex.
Her assurance being she has no feelings like that for him anymore and he gets more annoying the more she becomes attracted to me.

and sometimes people will use dysfunctional methods of coping to deal with an unresolved relationship. drugs...painting an ex black...rebound relationships...

it hurts, really hurts, the one(s) they get involved with, and can leave a trail of hurt people struggling over what was a pretty intense feeling relationship.

do you think that was the case here?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
GoblinMom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 09:10:46 PM »

If you saw this woman was so unstable and not mentally sound, why would you start a relationship with her?  It doesn't make sense.  You knew a relationship with someone like her would not work.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest