Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 11:44:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice for meeting with a GAL  (Read 473 times)
alleyesonme

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorcing

« on: July 05, 2020, 10:57:04 PM »

I'll be meeting with a Guardian Ad Litem in the near future, and I know that the GAL's opinion will go a long way towards determining how much custody I get of our child.

Any tips you guys can provide about what to do/say during these meetings, how to prepare, etc? Thanks in advance.
alleyesonme

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 06:59:44 PM »

Giving this a bump, as the initial meeting is tomorrow evening.

I'm aware of the advice to stick to patterns of behavior of the BP, rather than try to convince anyone about a diagnosis. In "Stop Walking on Eggshells," the book provides a detailed outline of a BP's behavior.

Would you recommend that I use that outline and point to events/actions that were examples of each one of those elements (projecting, no-win situations, raging, lack of impulse control, etc.)? I wouldn't actually come across and say "she has BPD," but a trained professional would easily be able to connect the dots.

I have one more meeting with my attorney tomorrow morning to finalize my approach, but that approach sounds good to me. What do you all think?
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 07:48:41 AM »

I think you are being wise to describe behaviors.

I think you should consider adding "impacts" on the ability to parent jointly and impacts on the child.

Best,

FF

worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 12:02:23 PM »

I agree with formflier - I'd start with a concise overview of the impact you are seeing on your child and ability to coparent.  Then show specific behaviors that you're concerned about.  If necessary, draw lines between events to show the patterns.

You might also have a list of other professionals to contact - therapists, school counselors, day care or school teachers - if there are any who could shed light on the issues or impacts on the children.

You can also bring copies of emails or texts to show the GAL what is going on using your ex's own words.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 12:27:01 PM »

The Ju-Jitsu Parenting handout that Dr. Craig Childress wrote up might be helpful. He suggests specific phrases for communicating concerns to mental health professionals without walking into common traps:

https://drcachildress.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Ju-jitsu-Parenting-Fighting-Back-from-the-Down-Position-Childress-2013.pdf

He addresses parental alienation but then sort of focuses the conversation on what he calls pathogenic parenting, which is often present when there are BPD traits.

How are you feeling about the interview?

Breathe.
alleyesonme

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 07:49:48 PM »

I think you are being wise to describe behaviors.

I think you should consider adding "impacts" on the ability to parent jointly and impacts on the child.

Best,

FF

Thank you. I did both, and I think I got my major points across. It was the first meeting, so there's still more that I need and want to say, but it seemed like a good start.
alleyesonme

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 07:51:23 PM »

I agree with formflier - I'd start with a concise overview of the impact you are seeing on your child and ability to coparent.  Then show specific behaviors that you're concerned about.  If necessary, draw lines between events to show the patterns.

You might also have a list of other professionals to contact - therapists, school counselors, day care or school teachers - if there are any who could shed light on the issues or impacts on the children.

You can also bring copies of emails or texts to show the GAL what is going on using your ex's own words.

Awesome advice - I did all of those. I was trying to walk a fine line between being tactful and reasonable on one hand, and being brutally honest about what my stbEX has done.
alleyesonme

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 07:57:01 PM »

The Ju-Jitsu Parenting handout that Dr. Craig Childress wrote up might be helpful. He suggests specific phrases for communicating concerns to mental health professionals without walking into common traps:

https://drcachildress.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Ju-jitsu-Parenting-Fighting-Back-from-the-Down-Position-Childress-2013.pdf

He addresses parental alienation but then sort of focuses the conversation on what he calls pathogenic parenting, which is often present when there are BPD traits.

How are you feeling about the interview?

That was a great read - thank you for sharing.

I thought it went ok. I got my main points across, but there's still more that I need to say.

Based on discussions with my attorney, I was expecting more of a back-and-forth dialogue between the GAL and I. But instead, she just sat in silence while I talked, never asking any follow up questions. That threw me off a bit, as I was hoping that she'd probe for more information. I think it may have been more effective for me if that had been the case.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest