Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 01:54:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Positive pregnancy test and how do I tell him?  (Read 388 times)
paperinkart

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Together (But It’s Tough Lately!)

« on: July 07, 2020, 11:26:27 PM »

Hey friends,

I’m sorry I keep making post after post this week but holy PLEASE READ, things just took a turn and I need all of your amazing advice, PLEASE.

Long story short, my undiagnosed BPD partner and I have been together off and on for 2.5 years. We just finished a split a few days ago and things quickly went back to normal and are feeling great. He made plans for us to hang out tomorrow and is really excited to see me again.

Sorry if this is going to be TMI for any of you but I’m absolutely in shock and need to explain everything: we hung out all yesterday and today. It was bliss. I just finished what I THOUGHT was a light period but I’m on the pill so I didn’t think too much of it. I did have really sore boobs even after my “period” which NEVER happens. I always get soreness leading up to my period and it goes away as soon as it starts. I also noticed I was having a little bit of indigestion and very mild nausea but again, didn’t question it.

I was at the store today and just thought that mayyyybe I should buy a test and double check. I felt like a total idiot because I had just finished my period and there’s no way I’m pregnant. Well, jokes on me because it came back positive right away.

I’m definitely still bleeding lightly though and I’m supposed to see him in the morning. I cannot tell you how scared of pregnancy this man is. He has a wonderful young son with his first wife but him and I are no where near ready or we’re we even wanting this to happen.

I had a little scare last year and when I told him there was a possibility, he shocked me and became really excited. We were both relieved when I wasn’t but I honestly was blown away by his reaction.

But every time before and after, the second I have ANYTHING mildly serious to tell him, he goes “omg are you pregnant?”
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 03:13:32 PM by Harri, Reason: modified title- profanity » Logged
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Harri
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 11:29:40 PM »

Hi!

I'm sorry, I do not have a lot of experience in this sort of thing (never had kids).  How about waiting until you have an 'official' test done before deciding on how to proceed with him?  How do you feel about being pregnant, apart from him I mean?

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 08:31:13 AM »

Harris's suggestion was what I was thinking also. Get a doctor's appointment, blood test confirmation, and some more info on number of weeks along. Then you can have a conversation.

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
Vincenta

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »

Hi paperincart,

Just echoing Harri’s and GaGirls’s answers here - perhaps best to wait for a confirmation from a doc before telling anything to your partner.

Now,  Virtual hug (click to insert in post) - How do you feel  about this possible pregnancy yourself? Would you really Virtual hug (click to insert in post) like to have this possible child, and thus a life-long relationship with your on- off possibly BPD partner? How that life would look like?
Could you also imagine just to be a single mother, perhaps without any support?

Your relationship with the partner has not been very stable this far, so what do you think should happen that he would become  a stable partner and/ or father?

Just some thoughts,

And many many  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Vincenta
paperinkart

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Together (But It’s Tough Lately!)

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 01:16:18 AM »

Thanks everyone.

I did end up telling him the next day. He took it wonderfully, much better than I had hoped.

To answer some more questions: he already has a son (6) and he is an incredible father. I’ve also watched his co-parenting relationship with his ex-wife flourish. They navigate parenting together and separately wonderfully.

Yes, our romantic relationship has been rocky but as we learn more about BPD, we are slowly, slowly navigating and figuring it out. I have no idea what a child would do for our romantic relationship but I’m confident we could figure it out either way.

I suspect we would set up a co-parenting plan and split the time equally (same setup he has now with his son). That way, we don’t have to put SO much pressure on our relationship by also moving in together and trying to raise a baby as a couple. But yes, even with all the difficulties, I know he is a wonderful, wonderful father and I would be glad to have him as the dad.

Of course I know it would be extremely difficult. Probably the hardest thing I’ll ever do. Even if he dropped off the face of the earth, I would be fine as a single mother. I know I could do it.

I think no matter what, this is the catalyst for change. Whether that change is good or bad- only time will tell. I think this is probably a good sign we both need to get in to therapy ASAP. This will be difficult to navigate no matter what happens without the help of a professional.

I really can’t say what will happen. Time will tell.

Thanks for all the hugs. Please keep them coming!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest